Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Bridal Shower?!??!

Ok, I want my bridal shower to be for all the woman. Who exactly should I invite? Also, Where is a good place for a bridal shower if I can not have it at my parents house?

Re: Bridal Shower?!??!

• I'm not sure what your question exactly is, but let me start by saying that the bride does not throw her own shower--it's done by a friend, sometimes the maid of honor.  It's also usually not thrown by a close family member (mom, for example) because that's also seen as a request for gift.  Also, one only invites people to the shower that are invited to the wedding and reception.  You can have a women only shower if that's what is thrown FOR you.  As far as places, check out local restaurants, small hotel meeting rooms, etc.  Or maybe whoever is throwing it for you would have it at their house.  A VFW hall or something similar might be available, too. I can't give you a specific suggestion, though, because this is an international board.  I live in Atlanta, and could offer you suggestions for that city, but other than that, I can't help you. You'll want to post suggestions for a specific venue on your local board. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Don't throw a shower for yourself. Ick. If no one offers to host then you don't get one. As for the other stuff, if someone offers to throw one for you they get to decide things like location and guestlist. They'll probably ask for your input on who to invite but other than that you really don't get to tell the host what to do.
  • My sister did not have a bridal party or a maid of honor. She & my mom planned her shower together. Most brides don't throw their own shower but hey everybody's different. It worked fine for my sister. My maid of honor & bridesmaids are throwing me a shower. I don't know where or when it is. I did give them the guest list. They would have no idea who to invite on my fiance's side of the family. You should definately make up the guest list. I invited the bridal party, close friends & close family on my side & on my fiance's side. (All women). Depending on the time of year, most people have showers in a backyard, home, or a restaurant. Did you & your fiance register yet?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The bride does not throw her own shower because it is incredibly rude for her to do so. When someone offers to throw you a shower, they will probably talk to you about dates, a guest list, and a venue. At that point, you can express your desire to have women only. She'll probably give you a number you can invite, and you go through your wedding guest and pick the closest X people. Usually WP, sisters, aunts, grandmothers, close friends and sometimes cousins are invited. Your host will make the call on where to have it.
  • Most brides don't throw their own shower but hey everybody's different.Nope. It's still bad etiquette to throw your own shower, no matter what.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I agree that you do not throw your own, but hey it's your wedding, so i see nothing wrong with giving your input when it comes to themes, colors, guests. I am quite outspoken in my family and I know my mom wouldn't be offended if I threw my 2 cents in and she would think it's okay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards