Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Flower girl or junor bridesmaid?

Ok so I have alot of nieces and I want them all in my wedding. The ages are.. 2, 3, 5,6,10
im having the two little ones as my flower girls but im not sure what to call the 5 and 6 year olds?? Would they be considered jr bridesmaids or just keep them flower girls?? Are they too young to be jr bridesmaids?? Thanks!

Re: Flower girl or junor bridesmaid?

• I think it's nice that you want to include all of your nieces. I think they are young enough to call them flower girls.
    June 2013 Sig - Shoes
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think that the 2 year old through the 6 year old would be good for flower girls and maybe let the 10 year old be a junior bridesmaid.  When my cousin got married 7 years ago, our 9- and 11-year old cousins were junior bridesmaids.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_flower-girl-or-junor-bridesmaid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:171ad552-e660-4ba7-a95e-2acf023184d8Post:a6cc89a9-5a5f-42f0-81bf-cb751d15e15e">Re: Flower girl or junor bridesmaid?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that the 2 year old through the 6 year old would be good for flower girls and maybe let the 10 year old be a junior bridesmaid.
    Posted by stantokm[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.

I would just call her a "bridesmaid", though, even if she's wearing a slightly different dress (i.e. not strapless, different neckline). 10-years old is that age where "junior" might make her feel like she's singled out for being young. I think she'd get a kick out of feeling like one of the ladies, but you know your niece better than I do.
  • Thank you all for your help! That's what I was thinking but I just needed some advise! :
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_flower-girl-or-junor-bridesmaid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:171ad552-e660-4ba7-a95e-2acf023184d8Post:30db9178-dba8-411c-aed0-4f2cd370e0a2">Flower girl or junor bridesmaid?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok so I have alot of nieces and I want them all in my wedding. The ages are.. 2, 3, 5,6,10 im having the two little ones as my flower girls but im not sure what to call the 5 and 6 year olds?? Would they be considered jr bridesmaids or just keep them flower girls?? Are they too young to be jr bridesmaids?? Thanks!
    Posted by Claireandmichaelforever[/QUOTE]

I'd leave the 2 - 6 year olds as flower girls and have the 10 year ofd as a bridesmaid.

(the title junior bridesmaid isn't used much anymore)

GL
  • If jr bridesmaid is still used in your circle, then the 10-year-old definitely falls into that category. My sister and I were jr BMs when we were 16 and 18; I had two in my bridal party this month who were 14 and 11 (they took no offense; like me when I was a jr, it's the first wedding they've been in and that's a thrill, whatever you're called!) However, if you think they'll take offense or if it's a term that no one in your circle uses anymore, by all means skip it and just call them bridesmaids. Personally, there would have been some eyerolling in mine if I'd called my two nieces bridesmaids and it was their two moms (who were BMs- one sister and my sister-in-law) who suggested making them jr Bms because their siblings were flower girls and the ring bearer. They said as long as I didn't mind, my nieces would appreciate being a part of everything. You don't need to make all of them a part of your wedding party but I definitely understand wanting to! I think the younger four are perfectly set to be flowergirls (mine were 5 and 9.)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If I was 18 years old and someone called me a jr. bridesmaid, I'd tell them to kick rocks.
  • Well, no offense was taken so that was all I wanted to point out- in some people's familes this is perfectly acceptable. *shrugs* and honestly, both my RB and his JR BM sister had changed out of their clothes within an hour of the ceremony and were walking around my reception venue in shorts, T-shirts, and at least one of them had no shoes on and they weren't run out of the party- it was not a case of "won't you look cute dressed up??" As I said, both BM moms suggested it to me and I agreed it would be nice to have all kids involved. If either of them thought it was insulting, I wouldn't have done it- maybe my family's just behind the times but it's probably a possibility we're not the last to hear of what a big deal being called a "jr" is.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_flower-girl-or-junor-bridesmaid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:171ad552-e660-4ba7-a95e-2acf023184d8Post:1fe51186-404f-4c4c-8469-c3bd5fd19c92">Re: Flower girl or junor bridesmaid?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why do you want all these children in your wedding?  You can have them, if you wish, but is it really necessary?  I am not a fan of huge wedding parties.  It is an honor to be a guest at a wedding.  JMHO.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

That wasn't what she asked.
  • Totally use them all!! They will LOVE being part of your special day!!

I would agree with others: 2/3/5/6 as FG's and 10 as BM (no junior anything...it is making me so annoyed that my mom keeps referring to my fiancee's 15y/o neice as a JUNIOR bridesmaid.)

Maybe even have the 5 and 6 yr olds old the 2 and 3 yr olds' hands as they walk down (or pair them up) to give them the special job of being a FG *and* a Bride's Helper in keeping the little ones in check
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards