Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

**handfast4me**

Hi, just wondering did you have a bagpiper/pipers for your wedding?  I have a friend who will be piping at ours. Probably some prelude music outside of the church, and at the least the processional and recessional. Looking for song ideas...He told me a couple songs but was looking for some more options to throw out there. If you have any suggestions, I certainly welcome them. TIA  Smile
Crosswalk

Re: **handfast4me**

• We didn't have a bagpiper, because our Handfasting was private (our high priestess and priest are in the broom closet) and for our legal wedding, it was just the two of us on the beach.  

However,  I do have a couple of suggestions, if you'll allow me to make them.  Maire's Wedding, (or Mary's or Marie's wedding) is a perky little tune that might be good for your recessional.  A lot of women use Amazing Grace somewhere in their ceremony, but to me, it's a funeral song--even though it's actually about the gentleman being enlightened and not holding slaves any longer. Flowers of the forest (or field? Can't remember, sorry) is actually ALWAYS played for funerals of Scottsmen and women, so I'd avoid that.  I love Scotland the Brave, but it's like playing the US National Anthem at a wedding.  Just about anything else is great.  Remember that the pipes can only play 9 tones, so the piper is limited in what he or she can play. 
    Best wishes!
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Thanks!  Yeah my friend said that Scotland the Brave was played at his for either his processional or for their recessional, so we may be able to use that. Honestly, most people wouldn't realize it's an anthem, so they'd probably just think "Ooooh, preeettty...". I agree about Amazing Grace, and was planning to avoid it. But I appreciate the heads up on the Flowers song being a funeral song...I appreciate your input! Thanks so much!
    Crosswalk
  • Hey Pirata - my daughter had a bagpiper at her wedding last month. (Heinz Chapel)

He played "Wearing of the Green" for her processional down the aisle with her Dad and "Scotland The Brave" for when the bride and groom walked back down the aisle after the wedding.

He also played before and after the wedding.  If you want me to, I can ask her what songs he played during that time.
  • Thanks Moraine, that would be great!  My friend played a couple songs at his own wedding several years ago, and he basically said he could play whatever we wanted. But we plan on having him play before & maybe after the ceremony, so some songs for that would be great if your daughter has them written down. You can either reply here or if you want, email me at wooshdiva13@yahoo.com.  Thanks so much!
    Crosswalk
  • I just texted my daughter and asked her to send the list to me.
    As soon as she replies, I will email you!

Our guests loved the bagpiper - we used George Balderose.
    I got goosebumps hearing him play!

Btw, I LOVE your engagement photos!  They are just stunning!
  • Oh that will be great, MM!  I love love, LOVE the bagpipes and we just think it'll be beautiful and something different. Are you familiar with South Side at all? We are getting married at a small church there and I think it's just going to fill the church nicely. And they just got a new organ and sound system so the parts the organist plays will sound nicer than it has in a long time.

Thanks on the e-pic compliment.  We just love them too. They were shot in what used to be my family's store and home years ago--the rooms we used were at one time the living room (where the more portrait style pics were shot), the dining room (the billilards shots) and my great-grandmother's study (the bar). Sometimes I think we'll have more e-pics framed and displayed than wedding pics!
    Crosswalk
  • Pirata,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  My daughter had deleted her info and we had to go back and look up everything.
    I will be emailing you the songs in a minute.

I don't blame you for framing and displaying so many of your engagement photos.  That's a very good idea at having them taken at the family business/home.  :)
  • Thanks again!  I really appreciate it!
    Crosswalk
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards