Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Maid of Honor/Best Man...to have or not?

Words and sentences are not coming easily to me today haha (sleepy) so hopefully this makes sense...

We originally told everyone that we're not having "MOH" or "BM" because I can't choose between the girls. FH's brother is tallest and will be standing next to FH during the ceremony, the next guy is a little shorter, and the last guy even shorter so it worked out to be in order of height (tallest to shortest)

I told the girls I was just going to line them up the same way since I couldn't choose betwen them who to be MOH...so my best friend is in the MOH place, then sister1 and then sister2...

I want FH's brother to feel special and have the Best Man title but don't know how to do that without giving one of the girls the MOH title.

Should I just make my best friend the MOH and hope my sisters understand it's just because she'll physically be in that place?

Or should I just continue to omit the whole BM/MOH thing and figure out another way to honor FH's brother? (they are TWINS afterall....)

Re: Maid of Honor/Best Man...to have or not?

• He can be his best man without you having to choose a MOH. I wouldn't think anything of that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My fiancee is having a BM, but I'm not having a MOH.  Do what you're comfortable with - no one else will think twice about it.
  • FI has a best man, but I don't have a MOH. It's no big deal.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • He chooses his side you choose yours.  You cannot tell him if he can or cannot have a BM, that is your FI's choice and something your ladies should also recognize. 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    In Response to Re:Maid of Honor/Best Man...to have or not?:[QUOTE]FI has a best man, but I don't have a MOH. It's no big deal. Posted by kroot87[/QUOTE]
    Ditto. I didn't see any reason to choose between my two sisters and two best friends but my FI asked his best friend to be his best man. I think it will turn out fine.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • kfraskfras member
    First Comment
    I agree, that he can definitely have a best man without you having a MOH. But I also understand what you are saying. At my cousin's wedding, her husband couldn't decide between two friends to be his Best Man so he had two Best Men and then three other groomsmen. My cousin had me as her Maid Of Honor and 4 other bridesmaids (5 attendants on each side). Since I was dating one of the Best men (my now Fiance), he was put first so we could walk together, with the other best man second and paired with my sister. Pairing her with 2nd best man did raise some questions as to if my sister is the 2nd maid of honor. So I do understand where you are coming from.

No one should be confused if they are listen in the program as Best Man, groomsman, groomsman. And then Bridesmaids.

The only time I see this as confusing, would be the procession. It is traditional for the attendants to walk together up the aisle, and since the BM stand at front with G then the MOH usually walks alone. In my cousin's wedding all the girls walked with their partners, no one walked alone. I would suggest either doing that or having all three men waiting at the front and all three women walking alone. Just so your best friend isn't singled out as walking alone and people think she is MOH.

Do you really want best friend as MOH but are afraid of hurting your sisters' feelings? If it is something you really want, I would just tell them. It might be easier to use the height reason as an excuse so there are no hurt feelings. But if you are extremely closer to her than your sisters, they should understand. Thankfully I have one sister and she is my MOH even though I was my cousin's and I will be my best friend's. But since I only have one sister they understand.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My bridesmaids are all my sisters, couldn't choose between them, but I had an 'out.'  The eldest sister has helped me so much with my wedding that I asked her to be my witness, and she'll be presenting the rings during the ceremony.
  • My FI and I are thinking of doing much the same thing, only not having a MOH or Best Man. My FI is so close-knit with the 5 GM he intends to ask (4 of whom he has known since grade school, the other is his elder brother) that he cannot and will not choose between them for a best man. I have had the same best friend since I was 11 years old, and automatically think to choose her as my MOH, but when I think of how much I love my other BMs, it is hard to imagine putting any one of these beautiful women above the others. I really just want them all there to stand up with me and be recognized as my cherished friends on my wedding day to the love of my life. I think as long as you and your fiancée are happy, it will all work out. I agree with TiffanieF though, let your FI choose his side of the bridal party. Find another way to honor his brother if it is important to you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards