Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Need some help with Bridal Party

Hi everyone. I am getting married in Feb. I live in Belize and my family is coming from all over to join us. When we got engaged in June I asked my youngest sister to be my MOH. At that time my other sister said she would not be able to come to the wedding. She is the mother to my only niece. 
We have a MOH and BM
FI's nephew is our ring bearer and our business partners daughter is going to be our FG
FI, BM and RB are all going to be in fromal kilts in FI family tartan
MOH is wearing a dark red dress, FG is wearing white dress with matching red sash to MOH and our daughter is wearing a white dress with family tartan sash
My mom just informed me that my niece (11 years old) will be coming to the wedding. Any suggestions on what I should do with her?
Thanks for your help

Re: Need some help with Bridal Party

• Options
    You aren't obligated to do anything with her in your bridal party. But if you want to make her part of the bridal party, you can have her as a junior bridesmaid. If you don't like that idea, you could have her help guests to seats as an usher or pass out wedding programs, but a junior bridesmaid would be most appropriate.

Good luck!
    Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist, While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely, The Opportunist
  • Options
    I sort of had the same issue, my stepsister is 10 years old. My father and I both agree she is just too old to be a FG and too young to be a bridesmaid (or junior bridesmaid). So she just will not be in the wedding. Perhaps you could have her hand out programs prior to the ceremony.  She will be ecstatic over any job you might give her. She will feel included.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_need-bridal-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:2b900281-b200-4751-ab1d-9635da70e4f7Post:8e6778f6-d6fc-464f-a773-2f18f6abfdb4">Re: Need some help with Bridal Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]You aren't obligated to do anything with her in your bridal party. But if you want to make her part of the bridal party, you can have her as a junior bridesmaid. If you don't like that idea, you could have her help guests to seats as an usher or pass out wedding programs, but a junior bridesmaid would be most appropriate. Good luck!
    Posted by C8H10N4O2[/QUOTE]

Or you could have her be a bridesmaid and scrap the unnecessary "junior" tag altogether. Unless you're referring to the other BMs as "senior bridesmaids." Are you?
  • Options
    Another alternative to making her a (junior) BM... How is your niece's reading? Could she read a poem or something? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_need-bridal-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:2b900281-b200-4751-ab1d-9635da70e4f7Post:09432012-a06e-415b-8c28-8f8e4e7d1fae">Re: Need some help with Bridal Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't need to 'do' anything with her.  Make sure she has a seat and a meal, I guess.
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what I was thinking...</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Ask her to be a greeter and pass out programs...do it directly it will make her feel honored rather than like an add on. 
  • Options
    Really? You don't need to do anything with her. It's also not necessary to have a FG and RB. Espcially with such a small wedding party. It's probably too late to elimanate them but I'm guessing you would feel less obligated to do something with her if you would have kept it at just a best man and maid of honor. Members of your wedding party arent supposed to just be props in your wedding that you didn't know what else to do with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you should make her your lady in waiting for the day. She can be like a little helper and feel important. She could do things like hand you pins for your hair or straighten your dress before you walk down the aisle, numerous things.
  • Options
    This is a neat idea, but like other PP you dont NEED to do anything with her. Why change your whole plan to fit her in, when you weren't planning on her in the first place?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Flowers
    image 160 Invited
    image 2 are ready to party with there boots on! image 0 have better things to do image158 are trying to find there boots
    RSVP Date: July 25th
  • Options
    I agree- only include her if you genuinely want her to be part of the event.  Not every relative needs to have a role.  If you're having scriptures or quotes read during the ceremony maybe that would be something for her to do....if she speaks clearly and doesn't get stagefright :)
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for all of your suggestions. The Need was pressure from my mom. All the members of our bridal party are important people in our life. Since our RB is her age we are making him a groomsman and my neice a junior bridesmaid. Our FG stays the same and my daughter is going to carry our rings. We asked her what she wanted to do and she wants to hold the ring. It is all worked out.
  • Options
    My sister had a similar situation with a cousin that wasn't close enough to be in the party, but too young for a flower girl.  She had my cousin stand and the guestbook, and take pictures of all the guests and make sure they sign the book.  Another idea would be to have her hand out the wedding programs. Or, you could have her walk down the isle carrying a "Here comes the Bride" sign, and then take her seat.  WIth all three she would be involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards