Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

flower girl question

me and my husband have been married since feb 21 2009. we had a very intimate JOP wedding in our living room with promises that i would one day have my bigger ceremony. so now i am planning the renewal of our vows and i have a dilemma...the flower girl. his daughter wants to be the flower girl. i have looked up traditional ages for flower girls and the cut off has generally been 8 yrs old...she will be 8 in may. the problem is not her age, however, it is her size. i have a 10 yr old niece who is tall for her age and very skinny....my 8 yr old stepdaughter is about the same height as my niece and is a little heavier. so i told my husband i will just make her a jr bridesmaid with my niece. when i picture flower girl i picture a 5 yr old little girl walking down the aisle, not an 8 yr old who could pass for 10 or 11. he seems offended and is actilng like i don't want her in the wedding. i keep pointing out to him that she will still be in the wedding, just not as flower girl. am i being too picky about this or should i just make her a jr bridesmaid and tell him to get over it?

Re: flower girl question

• Options
    does it matter if she is called 'flower girl' or junior bridesmaid' arn't they practically the same thing anyway?
  • Options
    Let her be a flower girl.  I'm not sure why her height should be an issue that would preclude her from being so.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_flower-girl-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:3f84db5f-6b49-4c53-963b-b755fe13fd01Post:029123fd-68ee-4599-bd44-55ca58d4302a">Re: flower girl question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let her be a flower girl.  I'm not sure why her height should be an issue that would preclude her from being so.
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]

Exactly!  Why would height be an issue??  My FI has two female cousins, who are 9 and 11, who are going to be our joint flower girl/ring bearers.  It is a great way to get them involved in the wedding, and they are so excited about it!!

I will agree that traditionally flower girls are younger, but with your wedding party there are no hard rules.  Height and age seem like a silly reason to exclude her from being a flower girl, especially if she wants to.
  • Options
    I think you should talk it over with her and ask her if she wants to be a flower girl or a junior bridesmaid and explain to her (im not sure if you will have them carrying flowers) but tell her that junior bridemaids will be carrying flowers too. I dont think that her weight and height should matter in anything but it's your day, so you should do things the way you want but try not to hurt the little girl's feelings in the process.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards