Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Ring warming 101

Is anyone doing this? What are you using to pass the rings around? Is the officiant saying anything about it? TIA!

Re: Ring warming 101

• Options
    I'd pass on the pass. People can well wish the two of you in their message on the guest book or wedding cards they give to you.  :)
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of passing around our rings. I just worry something would happen.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    It seems gross to me honestly.  And as a guest I'd feel a little confused about it, like, "Uh...okay, I am supposed to touch this for a second....where's the reception?" 
  • Options
    I've seen this at small ceremonies. I think it's incredibly sweet.

I think the fears about "germs" from passing around the rings is silly.  We all live in the world where we shake hands, kiss cheeks, open and close doors, etc.  It's life.

I've seen people put the rings in a smal tulle bag to pass around, as well.  This keeps people from dropping the rings or, if you are concerned about germs, overly touching them. 

We had a very small ceremony...now I'm sad I didn't think to do this!  :-)
  • Options
    Thanks Joy :) We are having a small wedding, 40-50 people. I'm not worried about germs or dropping it. And the reason I was asking for what the officiant should say id to avoid confusion about what to do with the ring :) 
    I was thinking of buying one of these little metal bowls I've seen, and having it imprinted with "bless our rings with your prayers" or something like that.
  • Options
    That sounds sweet, Ghoti! 

I don't remember what the officiant said while we passed the rings, honestly.  I just loved getting to look at them.  Wedding rings are usually quite pretty.  Google a little bit or your officiant might have some ideas.  You could also put something in the program about passing the rings.

Good luck!
  • Options
    One of my friends did this at their wedding and it was really sweet. They were having a travel themed wedding, so they placed each ring in a tiny white suitcase before the ceremony began. One of the first things their pastor said after his opening blessing was to have the suitcases passed around, asking each person to bless the rings or wish the couple well. The bridal party then passed the suitcase from one aisle to the next (his ring on his side of the aisle and her ring on her side). By the time they made it around the room, it was time for them to say their "I do"s.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I found these 2, I'm going to email them to our officiant and see what he thinks :)

Ring Warming 1Having this love in their hearts for each other BRIDE and GROOM have chosen to exchange rings as a symbol of their vows. The wedding rings are the most visible sign of the bond these two people are about to make. A commitment to life, to each other and to the future.What I now ask BRIDE and GROOM’s families to do is to warm these rings by passing them down the row. As you hold them in your hands, pause for a moment, and make your wishes for the couple and for their future before you pass them on to the next person.These rings will not only be a gift from one to another but will be given with the love, support and wisdom of their family and friends.Ring Warming 2Before BRIDE and GROOM say their vows and exchange rings, they have asked that the
 people before them participate in the “warming of the rings.” If
 you are unfamiliar with this ceremony, take the opportunity to wish 
them health, happiness, and all that is noble and good in life when 
the rings pass to your care. Hold them for but a moment and warm them 
with your love, making a silent wish for the future this couple will
 share. When returned, these rings will contain in their precious
 metals that which is all the more precious–your love and pledge of 
support for their union.
  • Options
    Wow, you learn something new every day!
  • Options
    I've never heard of a ring warming.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_ring-warming-101?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4019a8aa-6a53-4fd3-a31a-cb711aeab77cPost:6689ae70-c358-4d25-b79e-93a43a244fd1">Re: Ring warming 101</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never heard of a ring warming.
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]
    Well, you'll see it at my wedding! :D 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_ring-warming-101?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4019a8aa-6a53-4fd3-a31a-cb711aeab77cPost:6689ae70-c358-4d25-b79e-93a43a244fd1">Re: Ring warming 101</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never heard of a ring warming.
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

Glad I'm not the only one!
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I'm a bit late to this but....

The way I've seen this done (which I like better than the passing them around the church, since not everyone may want to warm your rings) is to have them outside of the church by the programs or in the welcome area, and the ushers can tell people about it and let them do it on their own time.  It avoids people feeling pressured to warm them if they're uncomfortable, and lets people take their time if they want.  Also the photographer can get some really nice shots.
  • Options
    fuzzisfuzzis member
    First Comment
    I really like that last idea. Sounds like something we could easily do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think that's really sweet
  • Options
    My partner and I just leanred about this idea, and looove it. We plan to incorperate this into our special day :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards