Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Garter toss...*poll*

Is anyone doing a garter toss or did a garter toss?  Let me know! I'm trying to decide if I'd like to do one or not...and I'd like to pick your brain about it!  Thanks Jordan

Re: Garter toss...*poll*

• FI and I are planning to do a garter toss but not the whole head up dress way! :)
    Photobucket
    My FI and Myself :)
  • No garter toss.  No one missed it and I still don't really get the whole "tradition" anymore. 
  • I am doing the toss, but nothing skanky lol

• aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2010
    No tosses.  We had only one truly single guest at our wedding, and only a handful of unmarrieds.  Besides, I've always hated them as a guest; at SBIL's wedding a couple of months after mine, I instinctively looked for a place to hidewhen the bouquet toss was announced until I remembered that I'm now permanently exempt from that nonsense.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • A lot of my friends were pretty excited about the tosses, and we wanted to do them, so we did. 

I'm kind of proud of our garter toss gag:  We and a lot of our friends have been or are currently field archaeologists.

We did the toss to the Indiana Jones theme.  He grabbed the garter, then reached back in to retrieve his hat:

murrayed
  • Both were tossed at my wedding, head up the dress and everything. I think it's a fun tradition and all my friends enjoyed it. I guess it would depend on the guests but I think its worth it. You only get married once, have a little fun! However I do not condone or allow chicken dances, YMCA's or Hokey Pokeys..just saying :)
  • I am not sure...

• We had two brides, two bouquets, and two garters, and nothing got tossed.  The idea that all the single people are desperately trying to get married seems both inaccurate and hurtful.

I did like the approach at one wedding I heard of, though.  They announced that everyone, male or female, should participate in the garter toss.  So everyone gathers round, and all of a sudden there are these wriggling rubber snakes falling everywhere.  Garter snakes, of course!
  • We did both tosses and both were a lot of fun.. however we had about 4 tables full of friends our age, most of who are still single so there was plenty of people who were able to go up for the tosses, and of course made it more of a spectacle. Love those goofs..
  • I hadn't really thought about it much until I saw this poll, so I asked FI.  He wants one, so we're doing one.  But we both agreed there won't be any head up the dress or removing it with his teeth.  We'll have a good number of single guys at our wedding though, and it's very common in his circle of friends.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • I've never been a big fan of either tosses.  There's nothing like being singled out (pun intended) at a wedding.  Personally, I want to keep my bouquet and my garter, for a keepsake.  My FH wants to do the whole garter thing, but I think it would make everyone uncomfortable.  So, as of now, we're undecided.
    imageAnniversary
  • We're doing it.  Much to my demise.  But I got out-voted by FI, my parents, his parents and a whole slew of a our WP, jerks.  LOL!  Should be interesting I suppose.
  • Thanks so much everyone!! I'm leaning more towards having one because my FH wants to do it, even though he won't come right out & say yes, lol. 12 days til my wedding--hope I can find the right garter =)  Thanks again!
  • We're doing it, but I will get a "tossing garter". I'm a bit sentimental and would like to keep my nice garter.

• We aren't doing them. I don't really like the idea of gathering all the singles.... and I never liked going up there for the bouquet toss.  And I've heard that scheduling a bunch of stuff takes away from just going with the flow.  One scheduled thing we are doing (probably right after the daddy/daughter dance and mother/son dance) is an anniversary dance.  All married couples get up there and the DJ annouces "all couples married less than a year, leave the dance floor," 5 years, 10 years, etc... and the last couple standing (married the longest) I'm going to give the toss bouquet to.
    Anniversary DS was born 11/30/12... so in love :)
  • we didn't do the garter toss and i'm glad we didn't b/c my 11yr old cousin caught the bouquet...her dad was quite happy that we opted NOT to do the garter toss lol
    imageAnniversary
  • Didn't do the garter retrieval or toss.  Didn't to the bridal bouquet toss either (anniversary dance instead).
  • Only suggestion - don't have anyone under 18 participate in either toss if you are planning on having the guy who catches garter it slide it up the girl's leg.  Kind of ruins the fun if a 13 year old girl and 22 year old guy catch it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards