Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

If you did cupcakes instead of cake--I have some questions

Debating doing cupcakes, my aunt offered to make them (not a problem with the venue), which would obviously save $, but do your guests go up and get one themselves? Are they served by the wait staff like cake slices?  I've never been to a wedding with cupcakes before, but FI wanted donuts because he hates cake so we compromised.

Re: If you did cupcakes instead of cake--I have some questions

• Well I haven't gotten married yet, but we're doing a cupcake tower too. I'm doing a 5 tier with 4 tiers of alternating flavored cupcakes & the top will be a mini cake that we can cut into. My venue said they will serve the cupcakes, as is, on a little plate to everyone. I'm also buying a few basic Chinese takeout boxes so some can take the leftover cupcakes home.
  • I have not done it yet but am planning to- the venues we've talked to offered to make a tower with some of the cupcakes, plate them individually, and serve them as they would cake slices.  (Which, obvs, depends on if you're doing something buffet or plated, but they'll do whatever they would have done for cake.)
  • We did a cupcake tower, with a regular small cake on the top that we froze for our one-year anniversary.  We had several flavors, so guests came up and took whichever flavor they wanted.  And we had individual cupcake boxes for guests to take extras home if they wanted to.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Our guests just went up and got their own cupcakes from a table where they were displayed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I've seen cupcake towers where guests can just help themselves whenever they like, and the last wedding I went to where cupcakes were served, you had to walk by the cupcake tower after getting through the buffet line.  There was someone standing there encouraging you to take a cupcake.

I just had individual little cakes on each table so I didn't have to worry about the cake being served.  If that's something you're interested in - maybe have a cupcake at each place setting, OR, have a small cupcake tower on each table as part of the centerpiece.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_did-cupcakes-instead-of-cake-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:49f1bd91-ac41-4fd1-bb87-23d07d33f7f7Post:62d7f5d5-c397-4ded-82eb-8b64ecf29613">Re: If you did cupcakes instead of cake--I have some questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our guests just went up and got their own cupcakes from a table where they were displayed.
    Posted by ehenry010[/QUOTE]

That's our plan as well. A traditional cake cutting isn't important to us. I figured I'll make sure the DJ announces they're there (and that there are extras so take one home!) at some point after dinner.
    Lizzie
  • I had a friend serve cupcakes from a cupcake tower and her mistake was not having enough.  People didn't realize they were only supposed to take one, so they took one of each flavor.  A lot of guests didn't get any :(

What we did was box them up and give them after dinner.  Some people ate them right away, others took them home.  Then people knew they were only supposed to get one.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_did-cupcakes-instead-of-cake-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:49f1bd91-ac41-4fd1-bb87-23d07d33f7f7Post:4b02cfd5-1acd-45c3-9485-95c1acdba425">Re: If you did cupcakes instead of cake--I have some questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a friend serve cupcakes from a cupcake tower and her mistake was not having enough.  People didn't realize they were only supposed to take one, so they took one of each flavor.  A lot of guests didn't get any :( What we did was box them up and give them after dinner.  Some people ate them right away, others took them home.  Then people knew they were only supposed to get one.  
    Posted by amys325[/QUOTE]
    Yikes! I hadn't thought of that. I guess that is a good reason to have it served rather than let them take. Although for us, we're also having a bowl of cake balls & an ice cream sundae bar. So, I'm thinking that with all of that, people are less likely to take too many, but you never know. I'm bringing that up when I meet with the venue again.
  • I like the idea of having the cupcakes at each place setting. Another reason we are doing cupcakes is to avoid the cake-cutting cost, which I am assuming we would have to pay if we had the servers bring them to each guest.  Still not exactly sure how we're going to do it, but I really appreciate all the advice! 
  • I went to a wedding this summer with cupcakes. The guests got up and got the cupcakes themselves. The line moved quickly and smoothly. It wasn't a problem at all. They had a lot of different flavors of cupcakes too so it was nice to have a choice. They did have forks with the cupcakes (which were rather large) and that was nice.

• I'd say they go up and get their own. We are doing cake, but since our whole reception is a buffet, they'll be getting their own cake as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • For my friend's wedding, they had the cupcakes displayed on a long table, with boxes under the tablecloth to give height. I think there may have been some of those 3 tier stands as well. The cupcakes were decorated with fresh berries and sugar flowers, and there were also lots of flowers on the table. It looked really nice, and because it was a long table, guests could come at it all around, instead of making a single line. The only drawback was that some people didn't move on after getting their cupcake, and just stood there chatting. So, some traffic jams, but that old have been prevented by having one of the servers monitor the table, which they didn't do.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_did-cupcakes-instead-of-cake-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:49f1bd91-ac41-4fd1-bb87-23d07d33f7f7Post:036d168e-83df-479b-9c45-cdde3f57a3dd">If you did cupcakes instead of cake--I have some questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Debating doing cupcakes, my aunt offered to make them (not a problem with the venue), which would obviously save $, but do your guests go up and get one themselves? Are they served by the wait staff like cake slices?  I've never been to a wedding with cupcakes before, but FI wanted donuts because he hates cake so we compromised.
    Posted by jujub423[/QUOTE]

The last wedding I went to had cupcakes.  We all gathered around the table and the couple fed (read smashed) each other and tphotos were taken.  Then I believe everyone just got their own since we were all huddled around the table already.  It wasn't chaos, but there were 80 guests maybe?

If you're in the 250 range I'd have the servers call by tables like they would with a buffet.
  • If all one flavor have them served. If different flavors have your guest's serve themselves so they have their choice.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_did-cupcakes-instead-of-cake-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:49f1bd91-ac41-4fd1-bb87-23d07d33f7f7Post:b3c20480-921c-4dfc-9c87-33aefae2ab65">Re: If you did cupcakes instead of cake--I have some questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you did cupcakes instead of cake--I have some questions : Yikes! I hadn't thought of that. I guess that is a good reason to have it served rather than let them take. Although for us, we're also having a bowl of cake balls & an ice cream sundae bar. So, I'm thinking that with all of that, people are less likely to take too many, but you never know. I'm bringing that up when I meet with the venue again.
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

The same bride as before had around 150 cupcakes and entire spread of homeade desserts made by her family and some guests still didnt get a cupcake.

I know it's crazy and I'm not saying it will happen, just that it could happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards