Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Father/Daughter Dance Song

So I have a small problem. My fiancee really has his heart set on a harpist playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" for our recessional song after the ceremony. But unbeknownst to me that was the same exact song my Dad has had his heart set on for the Father/Daughter dance since I was born (He just told me thats what he wanted and how he has always pictured it). This might be the most sentimental thing my dad has ever said/done so I really don't want to disappoint him by telling him we want the song for something else but I also don't want to hurt my fiancee's feelings about his song choice either. So my question is, do I tell my fiancee that we need to pick another song (we have already hired the harpist) or do I tell my dad that we need to pick a different song to dance to? Or is it possible to do it for both since the recessional would be just music and the dance would have words? Please help, thank you!

Re: Father/Daughter Dance Song

• Options
    I don't see a big problem here. The harpist will play it for the recessional and the DJ(?) will play it for the dance. No one will notice I promise you.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I think it's fine to do both, since one is on the harp without vocals and the other will not be.
    FYI - if you're looking for a slightly different, really powerful version, check out Jewel's  or IZ's version.
    Praying for a miracle!
  • Options
    agree; no one will say "hey that was her recessional!" 

Anniversary
  • Options
    My entrance song is the insrumental version of mine and my fiance's song... and then our first dance is going to be the orignal version of the song. So I say if it is two different versions of the song it is totally ok to play it two times:) It is YOUR wedding..... do you really think anyone is going to care that much? dont stress about it and do what YOU want:)
  • Options
    agree. use it for both. it will be extra special
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I agree with PPs, no one will notice if you use it for both.  I think it's great that your dad is so into picking the song. That is the one thing my dad was really into too - I didn't love his selection, but he spent hours scouring the internet for the perfect song and I went with it because of how much it meant to him.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    So make it your "fixed idea" like in operas and symphonies (a recurring musical theme). It's a lovely and whimsical piece. I can't think of a better song to have for a Father-Daughter dance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards