Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Why book a room for the wedding night?

The internet has failed me on this one, I've been going down various checklists and one thing that's started coming up is "make sure you've booked your room for your wedding night." 

Both my fiance and I live together locally and after discussing it with him, I think we're both a little confused about why we need to book a room for the wedding night instead of just going home.  Are we both missing something fundamental?  There's probably a super obvious reason for this, right?

Re: Why book a room for the wedding night?

• Options
    I think it's just one of those things that's on checklists in case it's something that needs to be done, like if you're getting married OOT, or if it's something that you'd like to do because it's fun. If it's not something you're interested in, it can be removed from said checklist.
  • Options
    Not everyone lives local to their weddings. Not everyone lives together before getting married and possibly their new home isn't near their wedding and they probably don't want to spend their wedding night at their parents?
  • Options

Echoing what previous poster said, not everyone lives locally where their wedding will take place.  And you don't absolutely need to book a hotel room.  It may be an extra you're not willing to pay for. 

We're booking a room, but only because we are getting married at home - there are a TON of people who will be at our house.  I know that I want to prepare in peace the day of and I will want to just be with my new husband the day of.  Hence, it is necessary (more of a want of course) for me to book a hotel room.

• Options
    We won't live together until we get back from the honeymoon, and one of my BM's is staying at my house the night of the wedding. Plus, we have an early flight the next morning, so we booked a room close to the airport for those reasons.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    A lot of people do it just to have a special romantic night, so it doesn't feel anti-climactic just going home. You certainly don't have to though if you'd rather just go home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We would've gone home if we didn't leave for the airport for the HM the very next morning.  The hotel was much closer to the airport than our condo was.

Otherwise, we would've gone home and saved the money.

• Options
    We only live 5 minutes from where we are getting married, but we have a flight at 6:10 the next morning so we decided to stay in the hotel at the airport just to make it easier on us.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We live 15 minutes from our venue, but we're staying in the same hotel as our guests. We're going to brunch with them the next morning. But hey, this way we get a king sized bed and no cats will wake us up at 6am! It's totally not necessary, though.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    We are staying in a hotel for one night because a lot of our OOT family will be at our house and we wanted one night alone. If we didn't have people staying with us, we would have just gone home.
    "It is never to late to become what you might have been..."
  • Options
    We are staying overnight bc neither the bride or the groom wants to be DD at our own wedding! Also a lot of our out of town guests wil; be staying there so it'll  be nice to meet everyone for breakfast.  Even if we were not drinking, I am sure we'll be exhausted and it would be nice just to go to our room after rather than drive home.
  • Options
    We opted to stay some where because it just seemed, as someone said above, "anticlimactic" to just go home.  We've been living together for about 2  years now and wanted to continue the special day with some place other than where we spend most of our time together.  Definitely not a necessity, just something fun.  He's also going to use the room the night before as his room, so we're all checked in and can just take our get-away-car there and relax.  My side of the bridal party and myself have a loft style room we're staying in, at a different hotel. 
  • Options
    we're definietly not going to get a hotel room, we both have trouble sleeping somwhere that isn't home anyway and I know that we'll want to sleep comfortably that night since we're having a morning wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_book-room-wedding-night?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:6afea6da-61a4-4014-ba72-0b25c8f2fd9dPost:78a5ad0c-8fe8-47a8-a2bc-9fd829f36455">Re: Why book a room for the wedding night?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot of people do it just to have a special romantic night, so it doesn't feel anti-climactic just going home. You certainly don't have to though if you'd rather just go home.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

Ditto this, we also live together so going home afterwards would be "anti-climatic" as pp mentioned. Plus, our venue has complimentary accomodations for the bride and groom on their wedding night so we lucked out! :0)
  • Options
    We are not staying at a hotel.  We decided to save the $100, but I can see why some would!
  • Options
    It's not totally necessary if you live close enough that you could just go home, but I think it would be nice to have a romantic night together and get spoiled a little (because most hotels will give you a little special treatment if you're on your honeymoon).  We went to Phoenix for an overnight stay on our way back from our honeymoon to see my grandparents; we could have just stayed with my dad or one of my relatives, but we Pricelined a nice hotel, because why not?  You only get to be spoiled as a newlywed once, you might as well enjoy it.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    We're getting a room at the hotel our guests will be staying at(at least, that's the plan right now. This may change once we book the honeymoon). Multiple reasons...1) We're getting married in Georgia, but live in Memphis. I don't want to spend my wedding night at my parents' house :) and 2) After the reception ends, we'd like to keep hanging out with our friends, especially the ones who live far away. The hotel has a bar :)
  • Options
    Our wedding is far from home, and we don't exactly want to spend our wedding night shacking up with my family, lol.
  • Options
    We're staying at a hotel 5 minutes from our house the weekend after the wedding (Fri, Sat, and Sun). It's just more special to go somewhere nice with a king sized bed, jacuzzi, breakfast in bed, and a nice dinner the day after the wedding. As a PP said, it would feel anti-climatic for us to just come back here.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_book-room-wedding-night?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:6afea6da-61a4-4014-ba72-0b25c8f2fd9dPost:78a5ad0c-8fe8-47a8-a2bc-9fd829f36455">Re: Why book a room for the wedding night?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot of people do it just to have a special romantic night, so it doesn't feel anti-climactic just going home. You certainly don't have to though if you'd rather just go home.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

Yes- this.  And/or because they don't live close to where they are marrying.

But it of course not a must....I have a friend whose fiance travels a lot with work, and she had been traveling back and forth from her parents house 3 hours away for this and that reason- so after their wedding- they chose to have their honeymoon at their house!!  They actually turned off their phones for 3 days and just lived in their bed...really sweet and cute.
    Do whatever suits you guys!!!
    judge the non-traditional, pop their happy little wedding balloons... and sleep better tonight for you have made the world a better place.
  • Options
    So many good reasons listed above...

We have a room included in the package, but we wouldn't drive an hour home only to return the next morning for presents/brunch @Mom's...  we are staying at home on Sunday before leaving for the honeymoon (shh - don't tell anyone!)

This also allows us to get some rest & clean up before showing up at the after party at my sister's house...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
     I think peopel do it for various reaosns. A couple I know that had their wedding in town were not going on a honeymoon until next year so booking their hotel was like a mini-moon.I think you should do do what works for you both. If that means going home have freinds set it up romanic (petals on the bed candles or whatever you guys thin kis romantic)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards