Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

What is YOUR something old, borrowed and blue?

Just curious to hear your answers out there. :)

Re: What is YOUR something old, borrowed and blue?

• Old: my Grandma's rosary
    Borrowed: handbag from my Mom
    Blue: my garter
    New: my dress
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2010
    Old: Mom's Veil
    New: Dress
    Borrowed: Grandma's pearls, Great-Grandmother's handkerchief, and Uncle's Irish five- pence
    Blue: Shoes
  • New: Dress
    Old: Pearl Necklace and Bracelt set
    Borrowed: Six Pence for my Shoe
    Blue: Shoes or Garter, haven't decided yet.

My neighbor is from England, so she is letting me borrow an authentic Six Pence to keep in my shoe! so, I've got two birds with one stone, there!
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wasn't planning on worrying about this tradition but reading the posts from you girls make it sound so sweet. I might be on the fence now. =)
  • old: FMIL is letting me wearing her 1st anniversary pearl ring :)
    new: bracelet
    borrowed: My mom's earrings
    blue: garter
  • OLD: We are having a Greek Orthodox ceremony and our wedding crowns were my grandparents when they got married in the 40s. I also will be using my grandmother's vintage pearl encrusted clutch.
    NEW:Not sure yet.
    BORROWED: My parents had two handblown glass wedding bells on their cake topper.  The rest of the topper broke but the bells are intact.  My mom gave one to each my sister and me so I will be using both bells (one is borrowed from my sister) and tie them to my bouquet.
    BLUE: The bells will be tied on with a blue ribbon.
    SIX PENCE:  My parents have a coin collection and had six pence that I'll be wearing in my shoe.

Oh, and there is Greek tradition where the single bridesmaids write their name on the bottom of your shoes at the beginning of the day, and by the end of the night, the one who's name wore off the most, that is the next to get married...so we are doing that as well.
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • oooh...aperitisa, that bridesmaid shoe tradition sounds like so much fun! We are having a religion neutral ceremony because of the diverse religious backgrounds of everyone on both sides of the family, but that just sounds really neat the fun! Wouldn't it be neat if that girl was also the girl that caught the bouquet at the bouquet toss? Then she'd HAVE to be the one to get married next! LOL! Thanks for sharing that!
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • haha yeah definitely! 
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • I love it! The veil, pearls, rosary, slip, ribbon...all so special. :) Thanks for sharing, all!

My something NEW: Dress, ring...and husband! haha
    Old: Mother in law to be's grandmother's handkerchief (which happens to be the color of my dress!)
    Blue: My San Jose Sharks garter, which is more of an aqua blue but it still counts, right?! I will probably wear some blue panties too, just for kicks.
    Borrowed: Still working on this. And I'm a month away!

Great idea about the sixpence. Greek weddings seem like so much fun!
  • are you supposed to be wearing it?  Cause I can do the something old, and borrowed all in the same place with the cake server.  It belongs to my grandmothers best friend, and is the one my mom used at her wedding.
  • Old: great grandmother's silver watch
    New: My dad is buying me a string of pearls
    Borrowed: Veil from my friend who was married last year
    Blue: Shoes.

You can combine them and have something that is both borrowed and blue for example, but I think it's more fun to track down all 4.
    murrayed
  • Old:  a silver brooch pin that was my grandmothers, pinned to my bouquet

New: my jewelry

Borrowed: a pearl bracelet from a friend

Blue: my shoes
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2010
    Old: My great-grandmother's hat pin
    New: A garter my aunt crocheted for me
    Borrowed: A sparkly clutch from a friend of my mom
    Blue: My stockings

And I bought a silver sixpence at Ren Faire that went under my insole.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • My something new is my dress, something old is my grandmother's rosary, blue is a hankerchief I gave my best friend (who is my maid or honor) on her wedding day that says bride in blue, and my something borrowed is a pearl hair clip I'm borrowing from my aunt.  What are yours?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards