Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Do not want a Bridal Shower

Is it okay to not want a bridal shower?  The reason being is, I live on the west coast and my two sisters, who are my maid/matron of honor and rest of my family live on the east coast.  The wedding is July in Colorado and I will not have any time to go east before the wedding.  Plus, I know a lot of people won't be able to make it to the wedding, so I don't see the point of having the bridal shower.  I just feel it will be an extra expense for an already expensive wedding for the people coming to the wedding.  What do you think?

Re: Do not want a Bridal Shower

• I think that if you don't want a shower, you tell your BMs and your family and you have your FI let his family know that you'd prefer not to have a shower.  And if they try to talk you out of your decision, which is very reasonable, IMO, you tell them you appreciate their thoughtfulness, but you feel strongly about this.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • It's 100% okay to decline a shower if you don't want one.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I"m in a similar situation, my family is scattered all over the place.  While I did want a shower and MOH offered to throw one, after talking it over we decided that the logistics were just too much to handle and no one would be able to make a second trip for a shower, so it wasn't going to happen.  Just tell anyone who offers, "Thanks, but there's no way I can get out there to attend."  You never know, they might all pitch in and buy you a plane ticket or something.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I'm not having one.  I would feel very strange sitting and having people watch me open presents. Instead we're having a bachelorette weekend - going on a wine trail, doing dinner, and just all spending time together.  Everyone seems happy with that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards