Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Scottish and/or Christian Traditions?

My fiance has a Scottish heritage. His family has been in Canada for several generations, so it isn't very prominent (he isn't wearing a kilt, for example), but I was wondering if there were any Scottish ceremony or reception traditions people know of that we could include. I've looked online a little, but haven't found anything that's jumped out at me.

We are also Christian. It will be a Christian ceremony, but I'm trying to think of some unique ways to incorporate our beliefs (through symbolism, etc) into the ceremony. I've seen where, after the pronouncement, the parents and/or best man and maid of honour, have tied the bride's and groom's hands together with ribbons (each colour symbolising a different aspect of their commitment to each other). We've thought of several things that make the reception unique to us, and I'm sure the readings and songs we choose will make our ceremony unique, too, but if anyone has any of those "little touches" kinds of ideas that they've seen or used themselves (and don't mind passing on!) I would love to hear them.

Thanks everyone! :)

Re: Scottish and/or Christian Traditions?

• Handfasting is a big one, (you've described it in part, above) but many Christian churches don't allow it because it pre-dates Christianity.  We had a full-on Handfasting (we're Pagan) about a year before our legal ceremony.  However, many Christian churches have altered it to fit their needs, then call it other things.  Always makes me laugh when they do that--why the name makes it no longer Pagan is a mystery to me. 

For our legal ceremony, we used a quaiche  (pronounced quake), which is big in Scottish Tradition.  There's an entire ritual around it, but you could alter it to fit your needs.

He doesn't have to wear the kilt for the "pinning of the tartan" you'll have him, or family members, pin a sash of his tartan across your dress. Make sure you use your RIGHT shoulder for this, as left indicates you're a clan chief or the wife of a chief. 

And of course,  bagpipes to pipe you out of the hall, etc. 
    Best wishes!
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • "However, many Christian churches have altered it to fit their needs, then call it other things.  Always makes me laugh when they do that--why the name makes it no longer Pagan is a mystery to me. "
    haha, so true. I'm a Christian, and it's no secret to most Christians that many of our traditions were Pagan traditions that were altered to make it easier for Pagans to convert to Christianity. even Christmas is an alteration of a Pagan feast--Jesus Christ was born in the spring, but his "birthday" was moved to coincide with a Pagan feast in the winter.

to the OP, I've been to multiple Christian weddings (Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, non-denominational)--the most common traditions are readings, music (Ave Maria for the Catholics, having a friend or member of the wedding party sing to the bride and groom), sign language (considering doing this for mine--I'm deaf and my best friend is an ASL teacher), prayers, taking Communion. I've actually never seen handfasting before in a Christian ceremony.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Yep, you're right, a lot of the traditions that Christians use (even the red and green colors at Christmas are from the symbols of the goddess and god!), but we look at it as it's easier for the Christians to still celebrate their "Pagan" holidays, that they're familiar with!  It's all in the perspective, isn't it? LOL! 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I think having a bagpiper adds a nice unique touch.

You might also want to use purple thistle, which is the national flower of Scotland, or perhaps some other native plants in your CPs or bouquet.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Oh!  Good call MSMery!  I forgot about Thistle.  I was going to have it in my bouquet, but then I decided against any bouquet.  Just make sure that you ask the florist to show you which kind he or she will be using--some are prettier than others, and there are many varieties. 
  • I'm curious about Scottish traditions too, for the same reason as OP, but I don't have any to suggest. Haven't found any yet. I am curious what a quaiche is, I'll have to look into that. In regards to Christian ideas, I did go to a wedding this year where the bride and groom did something where they held the ends of 3 ribbons (or it might have been lengths of rope - maybe a couple feet long?) and braided them together. I don't remember quite how it worked, but I think the 3 strands symbolized the bride, the groom, and the holy spirit (or God, I'm not sure exactly).

• A quaiche is a low bowl that is used as a goblet.  It has handles on both sides, for passing.  Traditionally, it's made of wood, but those are really hard to find.  Ours had a wood bowl, but had a pewter casing and pewter handles. 

The tradition is to fill it with single malt scotch (of course!) and pass it down the linefor the last person to drink from.  It is then passed all the way back--each person grabs on of the handles on the side, then the next person holds on to the handle on the other side--for passing back to the beginning for refilling.  Then it's passed for the next to the last person to drink from.  It can be very time consuming.  We usually do this ONCE every year for a gathering of my Scottish Clan--usually only about 20 or so people participate (we try to plan it so that not everyone will be there, or we'll be there for DAYS). 
  • tartansweettartansweet member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    We did a few different things at our wedding in Torridon (Scotland's highlands). The pipes are common, the thistle, the Quaich ceremony. http://www.event-central.ca/NewFiles/Lovingcup-Ceremony.pdf and the bell of truce http://www.chaosangel.com/17feb/ceremony.html

The quaich is used to celebrate the trust and love between the clans when used at a wedding. The couple take their first drink from it, bride holds one side, groom the other, and drink to the love of their past present and future. Then passed onto the parents (brides first then groom), then grandparents and down the line.
    If you wish to share with guests you can leave it at the top table for them to enjoy after the ceremony but it takes too long to have them all drink during.
    I liked the bell of truce as with the divorce rate now adays we need to focus more on solutions, and staying together, seemed appropriate to be included in our ceremony.
    We also involved our guests in a pledge to support us in the years ahead, the MC did a small schpeal about the important role they play in our lives and asked them if they would stand up and vow to support us etc etc. We had feedback after that they liked being involved and thought the things we did made the ceremony very sincere and intimate.
     =) winks... gl to you and your groom!
  • Hello,

Some traditions:

Sixpence in the brides shoe for luck
    Thistle and heather as a buttonaire for the men (lucky white heather)
    Seathing of the mothers
    Father walking the bride down the aisle and giving her away
    Drinking from the quaiche
    Piper (to welcome guests, bride down the aisle and to pipe in top table for dinner and as an extra he will come and stand outside your fiances house to do a wake up call!!)
    Soundtrack from the film Braveheart playing in the background?
    Scottish reading during the ceremony (Rabbie Burns?)
    Flowergirl giving silver horseshoe to the bride after the vows for luck
    Cutting the cake with a sword (often the pipers)
    Tablet or shortbread served with coffee after the meal
    Tartan ribon tied around favour boxes
    Tartan ribbon tied around your cake.  Thistles on top instead of a topper
    Haggis, neeps & tatties served in small bowls instead of a buffet?
    And of course half an hour of celidh dancing at night!!  FUN

If he does decide to wear a kilt check to make sure he is a 'real' Scotsman :o)

Hope dome of this helps - any questions let me know!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards