Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Wedding party gifts

So I am kind of lost on what to do for the wedding party gifts.  How much do people typically spend on the gift.  I have 6 girls standing up and I already said that I would buy their jewlery.  My mom says thats enough but I feel like that is chinsy.  Then again its not like I have money coming out of my ears.  Any suggestions?

Re: Wedding party gifts

• If the jewelry is to wear at the wedding, then it's not really a "gift", it's part of their outfit.   You're right, your mom is wrong.    

I have two bridesmaids and a female reader, and I bought them each a different silver necklace that I feel fits their personal style.  They are under absolutely no obligation to wear these to the wedding (though of course they can if they want to).  Basically I shopped for each of them like I would for their birthday.    I think I spent about $40-$50 each.

If you have a small budget, then I would recommend home-made gifts.  Maybe give each a framed photo of the two of you, and write each a nice note telling them how much their friendship means to you.   
    DSC_9275
  • Shop like it is their birthday and buy them something each girl would like. Spend what you can afford, whether that is $10 or $100. If they are "required" to wear it for the wedding, it should not count as a gift. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Spend what you can afford and shop as if it were their birthday.

In addition to the jewelry that I gave the girls for the wedding day I also got them a tote with their first name on it (sole purpose was to put the gifts in it, on sale here TK), purse that matched the dress, purse perfume, lip gloss, tide pen, personalized picture frame that said "Best Maid of Honor Ever!" (or whatever their title was), then one *special* gift (1-was a flask the other was fashion jewelry).

I think I spent about $100 (at the most) on my 2 girls.  The amount of gifts would have changed if I had more girls but I only had 2.  The GM, parents, and ushers we spent less than $20 on each of their gifts.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Thanks for the input it helped alot!
  • Hi Irish,
    I totally understand where you are coming from, my fiancee and I are picking up a lot of the costs for our wedding. What we are doing is for the girls buying jewerly, I found really cute bracelets on the knot wedding shop and i was able to find small cosmetic bags at a local outlet store. For the groomsmen he found the "groomsmen" black socks which were only $4 a piece and is going to get them a micro brewed beer. Plus we are getting them all a "overnight" gift bag with travel sized accessories for the hotel the night after. We had to keep the cost down because we have 9 on each side, plus two flower girls and a ring bearer.
    Hope it helps :)
  • Like PPs have said, shop as though it were their birthday.  While I am getting my girls relatively the same gifts (Coach purses -- different styles, candles -- different scents, etc.), my FI will be shopping for each of his guys individually.  They don't have as similar of tastes as all my girls do.  Just remember that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on them either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards