Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

casual vs. traditional wedding?

My fiance and I want a very laid back ceremony and reception. I want a tea length dress, he's wearing a khaki suit. I have one MOH and he has a BM.  Small wedding party. We're getting married in July and want a cookout/picnic theme.  We want potted flowers and red and white checked placemats for center pieces.  And BBQ food (BBQ pulled chicken, coleslaw, etc.) and cupcakes instead of a cake.

I do want my dad to walk me down the aisle, my fiance and I are sharing a first dance (with other married couples), a monther/son and father/daughter dance, and cake cutting. We are skipping the boquet, garter, dollar dance, and some of the other traditional elements. I want a causal feel for our wedding, and for it to be a big party.  Because we are incoorporating some traditional elements (cake, dances, etc.) my mother thinks I need to make the rest of the ceremony and reception (decorations and our attire) more formal......any thoughts?

Re: casual vs. traditional wedding?

• What you are planning sounds fine.  Just because a wedding is casual, that doesn't automatically make it non-traditional.  You can certainly include some traditional elements (cake cutting, first dance, etc) without needing to make the wedding formal.  It's perfectly fine to do those things at a casual wedding.
  • There is no rule that says if you have one traditional element, you need to have others.  Check out this description of our wedding, in which pretty much every one of the traditional elements got tweaked a bit.
  • Your mom is wrong. The level of formality does not prevent or allow traditions. Just tell your mother that you have decided on a casual wedding & then change the topic.

But, if your mom is paying, then this might get difficult. As the one who pays has control  over things like the level of formality.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_casual-vs-traditional-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:853f6351-154c-46a1-9f2f-dab7de227eb4Post:181ba460-abcd-46f0-851d-b4f699677b8d">casual vs. traditional wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I want a very laid back ceremony and reception. I want a tea length dress, he's wearing a khaki suit. I have one MOH and he has a BM.  Small wedding party. We're getting married in July and want a cookout/picnic theme.  We want potted flowers and red and white checked placemats for center pieces.  And BBQ food (BBQ pulled chicken, coleslaw, etc.) and cupcakes instead of a cake. I do want my dad to walk me down the aisle, my fiance and I are sharing a first dance (with other married couples), a monther/son and father/daughter dance, and cake cutting. We are skipping the boquet, garter, dollar dance, and some of the other traditional elements. I want a causal feel for our wedding, and for it to be a big party.  Because we are incoorporating some traditional elements (cake, dances, etc.) my mother thinks I need to make the rest of the ceremony and reception (decorations and our attire) more formal......any thoughts?
    Posted by Peachi831[/QUOTE]

Who's paying for your wedding?
  • Tradition and formality have nothing to do with each other.  Our wedding was fairly formal, but totally non-traditional.  Saying that a wedding with traditional elements must be formal is like saying my hair must be blonde because it is long.  They just aren't related.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Agreed that causal =/= non-traditional.  You can have whatever level of formality and include the traditions that suit you best.  There's no rule that says what you can or can't have in your wedding based on formality.
    Anniversary
  • Well, some parents do tend to want to go the formal route overall. But, again, it's not weird to be traditional yet casual. For the few casual weddings I've had the pleasure of attending, they included some traditional elements. Actually, in my mum's family it's traditional to have a big formal church ceremony and then a buffet reception in a barn-like hall down by the river, but with candleabras and everything. They're odd, but that's how traditions work--they just sort of grow over time. I think my mum would be grateful for anything traditional.

BTW, your barbeque sounds delicious. Fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards