Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Any Danish brides?

My mom would like to incorporate some danish wedding traditions. My FI is not danish so we cant do too much but one of the traditions is for the bride to disappear for a few minutes during the reception while all the single girls run up to kiss the groom. The groom later leaves while the single men kiss the bride. This is all done in goofy fun, but I'm afraid that people wont quite understand it and possibly get offended? Not to mention the fact that my FI is rather on the jealous side and probably wont be too excited about it. What do you think? Also - what other scandinavian traditions could we incorporate? We wont be cutting his tie or socks either :(

Re: Any Danish brides?

• Options
    Well I googled it, and other than the things your FI vetoed, this is what I found:

Danish Marriage Traditions before the Wedding Vows

In Denmark, there is a traditional wedding custom of building an arch of pine branches, called the Gate of Honor, in front of the bride's family home. Another Gate of Honor is built when the couple celebrates their silver anniversary.

Traditional Danish Wedding Cake

The Danish marzipan ring cake is the customary wedding cake in Denmark. Also called the cornucopia cake, it is made with almonds, pastilage and marzipan. On the outside, the cake is beautifully decorated with sugar work. On the inside it is filled with fresh fruit, candy and almond cakes.

To avoid bad luck, the newlyweds cut the cake together as a married couple and all of the reception guests must eat a piece.

HTH!

Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I'm a Finnish bride, and I have some Finnish customs listed in my bio under "customs and traditions" if you're interested.  For our favours, we're planting trees in the honour of our guests, and we also gave trees to our parents for their gifts.  Giving and planting trees is an old custom that was practiced across Scandinavia.
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    Thanks for the info...I really like the tree idea
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards