Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Old, New, Borrowed, Blue question

My mother wants to tie her antique sapphire ring into my bouquet. Can one item count as old, borrowed, and blue? Or do I need to have 4 totally different things?

Re: Old, New, Borrowed, Blue question

• Options
    i dont see why not
    Anniversary
  • Options
    of course
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I counted my brand-new Dr. Scholl's shoe inserts as my "New & Blue" ... it's been 5 months and the marriage police still haven't come and burned our marriage certificate, so I'm guessing it's ok Laughing

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    If you want it to count as four things, then it counts. (But you know that you don't have to follow this tradition, right?)

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    You do realize that this is an old superstition/tradition, and you'll still be married even if you don't have a single one of the four things, don't you?

Because the tone of your question sounds like you're taking it seriously.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! :)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Something old, something new, something borrowed,
    something blue, and a silver sixpence in her shoe."

"Something Old" stands for continuity, "Something New" represents optimism for the future: "Something Borrowed" is to remind the bride that friends and family will be there for her when help is needed. "Something Blue" stands for fidelity, loyalty and love.  And the "Silver Sixpence in her Shoe" is to wish the bride wealth. 

taken from: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1424/why-are-brides-supposed-to-wear-something-old-something-new-etc

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I want to do this tradition too.  I am working on something blue. My garter is a  St. Louis Cardinal garter.  I am thinking of tying a blue ribbon around it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think that's okay. Then again, I'm using the sixpence I got as something old (it's from 1846), new (but new to me!), and the sixpence.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    StageManager... LOL  I figured it wasn't dead on from a site called "straight dope"  figured it was close enough for the discussion. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards