Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Can bridal luncheons be anytime?

I wanted to have a bridal luncheon for all my bridesmaids to meet and try and dresses months before the wedding since a lot of them will be coming out of town to do so. However I looked up the definition of one and its meant to be a few days before the wedding as a thank you! I thought the gifts are for the thank yous...

Re: Can bridal luncheons be anytime?

• I know it's usually right before the wedding but if your BMs are not local, choose a time that they can attend
  • I've never heard of a "bridal luncheon" before.  I think getting your bridesmaids together is a great idea, and I don't think it matters what you call it.
    DSC_9275
  • Like Stage said, a typical bridal luncheon is right before the wedding.  However, there's no reason you couldn't take your girls out if you are all getting together for wedding purposes anyways.  
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_can-bridal-luncheons-be-anytime?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:9aa924c9-2613-444e-b72d-3ec7442fe736Post:df53a572-60ca-45a7-9fd6-51667027acc3">Re:Can bridal luncheons be anytime?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A 'bridal luncheon' itself is typically held the day before the wedding. However, doing a get together before the wedding is common, especially for shopping. We took all of our guys to get measured for tuxes while the OOT GM was here visiting, and then took them all to lunch at the local sportsbar. Just don't put too much pressure on them to "bond" or whatever, and be flexible if someone cannot make it, and you'll be fine.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of this.
    Lizzie
  • A Bridesmaids Luncheon is typically just before the wedding and in a sense it was the precursor to the modern Bachelorette Party (in that it was "the last time" that the bride got together with her closest friends as a single lady). She'd give them their attendant gifts at this event.

I think it's weird to host it months earlier in the strictest sense, but there's nothing wrong with offering to have a get-together for the bridesmaids at an earlier date.  But really there's no need for them to "bond" as PPs have said. 
  • I'm doing the same thing. I having my BM's get together and calling it a girl's day. Plus, I'm having my bridal luncheon the same day as my bachelorette party, since all my out of town BMs will be here anyway.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_can-bridal-luncheons-be-anytime?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:9aa924c9-2613-444e-b72d-3ec7442fe736Post:6ba8f204-441f-44b7-b6fb-e2c98fedb72c">Can bridal luncheons be anytime?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wanted to have a bridal luncheon for all my bridesmaids to meet and try and dresses months before the wedding since a lot of them will be coming out of town to do so. However I looked up the definition of one and its meant to be a few days before the wedding as a thank you! I thought the gifts are for the thank yous...
    Posted by spydchic99[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards