Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Converting to Greek Orthodox, Help!

So we have a different kind of dilema where my fiance and I are cathlic (only because we were baptised as such as birth) but I personally have always attended my Father's Greek Orthodox church which is where we want to get married in a traditional Greek ceremony.
We know that we have to convert but has anyone else had to convert and how long does it take? I hope it doesnt mean we will have to make our wedding even further away as it is in October of 2012.
I also read somewhere that the maid of honor, or the best man HAVE to be Orthodox as well? Is this true?
Help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Converting to Greek Orthodox, Help!

• Sounds like you should contact the pastor at the church. He would have all of these answers.
  • From what I've read it can take up to a year, though may be shorter if you have a vast knowledge of the Orthodox beliefs.  Only one person needs to have been baptized into Orthodoxy for the ceremony to take place, but both people must have been through a water baptism to participate in the ceremony.  I've not seen anything about the witnesses needed to be Orthodox.

Definitely ask your local priest.  You could also try posting on the Christian board (under cultural wedding boards over there <---).  We have a couple of Orthodox girls there.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_converting-greek-orthodox?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:ab813b0e-b4d2-44ab-bad2-5d0d299c4bd2Post:eddbdc38-b9e5-4914-b137-e6b3e18b5a5a">Re: Converting to Greek Orthodox, Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]From what I've read it can take up to a year, though may be shorter if you have a vast knowledge of the Orthodox beliefs.  Only one person needs to have been baptized into Orthodoxy for the ceremony to take place, but both people must have been through a water baptism to participate in the ceremony.  I've not seen anything about the witnesses needed to be Orthodox. Definitely ask your local priest.  You could also try posting on the Christian board (under cultural wedding boards over there <---).  We have a couple of Orthodox girls there.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

Great thank you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • meep2meep2 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_converting-greek-orthodox?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:ab813b0e-b4d2-44ab-bad2-5d0d299c4bd2Post:dff35eb8-e729-4a8a-b750-7a805d178aeb">Converting to Greek Orthodox, Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So we have a different kind of dilema where my fiance and I are cathlic (only because we were baptised as such as birth) but I personally have always attended my Father's Greek Orthodox church which is where we want to get married in a traditional Greek ceremony. We know that we have to convert but has anyone else had to convert and how long does it take? I hope it doesnt mean we will have to make our wedding even further away as it is in October of 2012. I also read somewhere that the maid of honor, or the best man HAVE to be Orthodox as well? Is this true? Help!
    Posted by LibbySalto[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure whether the maid of honor and best man <em>have</em> to be Orthodox, but from what I gather your priest may recommend it, and you may want to consider it. They're not just the MOH and best man, they're "Koumbari," and have actual roles in the wedding ceremony. Whereas in a Catholic wedding (I mention this because this is where you were baptised) you confer the sacrament of marriage upon each other, in an Orthodox ceremony the priest does. The Koumbaro (best man) has a role in helping this sacrament take place. He puts the rings on the bride and groom, crosses the Stefana (crowns) over their heads, and I believe helps hold these crowns as the couple do the Dance of Isaiah. This means that he will have an important spiritual connection to your marriage. Many Orthodox couples choose Koumbari who are married, and they later are godparents to their children. I believe that there are some financial obligations as well.
  • Some priests are stricter tthan others.  I was baptisted Catholic but can marry in the church without converting because it was a Christian baptism.  The MOH or Best Man has to be a member in good standing.  That seems to always be a requirement.
    Our priest required the Best Mand and us to be in "good standing", basically we have to pledge and pay.

If your father has been a long time member, the priest might be more lenient on the conversion.

Hope that helps :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards