Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

OH DEAR GOD HELP PLEASE!!!!

Ok so, I am not close to my father at all. he did not raise me. My mother married my now step father about 10 years ago and he's cool but I am not that close with my step father. My aunt helped raise me as her own child soooooooo....... I asked my aunt to walk me down the aisle because she shared in the raising of me. WELLLL my mother is LIVID and its her sister!!! She is still on my phone giving me more grief than I expected. UGH WHY COULDN'T WE JUST ELOPE!!!!

Re: OH DEAR GOD HELP PLEASE!!!!

• Options
    anjlela, if you bio dad told you not to call and told you he didn't consider you his child anymore (which was childish on his part!) I would not invite him.  He doesn't deserve it.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I have to tell my bio dad that both my dad and my step dad will walk me down the aisle. I don't think it will be pretty. But I feel that I am treating all of my parents my like they are my parents and in the end it's my decision. How ever I am freaked out so I totally empathize.
  • Options
    Sorry you're having  a hard time with your mom. Did your mom raise you or was it just your aunt? She probably feels slighted and embarrassed that you asked her sister rather than her. Your wedding isn't until July 2011. Is there a reason you felt you had to ask her so early in the planning?

• Options
    I also think that it is more that you didn't ask your mom than anything else.  Since you did decide to have a woman walk you down the aisle (not unusual these days), I do have to question why you would choose your aunt over your mom?  Unless, as a PP asked, was your mom not in the picture either and you were raised by your aunt?  I have to say that if you lived with your mom your whole life, if I were her, I'd be a little upset too.  Not having your bio or step dad walk you down is one thing, because people probably know that your bio dad hasn't been around and that while you get along with stepdad, you're not close enough for him walking you down the aisle....but I'd seriously think you were stating your mom is a crappy mom by choosing your aunt over her. Sorry.
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    sibling rivalry? 

or maybe your mom is upset because she sees this as a "male" duty, and since you don't then SHE should have been the most important female in your life, not your aunt.

or maybe a little mixture of both.
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    I feel for all of you and am really glad I am not alone.

My father and I are not close and even if it might hurt his feeling, I don't think he deserves to walk me down the isle. He doesn't have the right.

I am close to my mother but because I am worried about problems all of you are having, I won't ask her to walk me. She has bee married 4 times (it will be four come this fall) but none of them were close to me so I can't have them walk me. 

Soooo I am personally in the predicament of having no one but my FI, and that's what we're doing. S(rew the "not allowed to see her" tradition, we're walking to our future together. 

Now I just have to find a way to make his jewish parents happy that they can't walk him. 

*sigh*  

June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Shoes! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards