Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Memorial Photos

So my grandparents are all passed on and I was very close with them. I'd like to include a little photo display of them at our reception. My FI's grandparents are all passed on as well, but he had no relationship with them - he might have maybe met his grandfather once or twice. The only person at the wedding who had any sort of relationship with his grandparents is his mom. He won't have any aunts, uncles, or other extended family at the wedding.

Would it be weird if we had a photo display of my grandparents, but didn't include photos of his grandparents? Or should we include photos of his grandparents regardless? Or should we just skip the photo display entirely?

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Memorial Photos

• I would include both sets because the display should not only be meaningful to you, but to both of your respective families. That said, I would not necessarily put the display in a prominent area, but off to the side somewhere that the people it would be meaningful to could linger for a bit, but not the whole time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited March 2012
    Ditto, PP. I think it would be good to include both. Maybe an indirect way would be display both sets of parents and all sets of grandparents wedding photos? This is what I am planning on doing. 
  • pattib5pattib5 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Wedding photos would be a nice solution if our family tree weren't so screwed up with divorces and never-married parents. LOL

I was thinking this might be a nice compromise:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/249175791853225552/

While I wouldn't have the pictures I want of my grandparents, it still has the message I want and won't make my FI and/or his family feel weird maybe.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I'm not a fan of memorials at weddings - it's a day of celebration for your and your husband, not another memorial service.  I say skip it.
  • In Response to Re:Memorial Photos:[QUOTE]Wedding photos would be a nice solution if our family tree weren't so screwed up with divorces and nevermarried parents. LOLI was thinking this might be a nice compromise:<a href="http://pinterest.com/pin/249175791853225552/While" rel="nofollow">http://pinterest.com/pin/249175791853225552/While</a> I wouldn't have the pictures I want of my grandparents, it still has the message I want and won't make my FI and/or his family feel weird maybe. Posted by pattib5[/QUOTE]I like that idea, maybe you could invest in one of those electronic photo album picture frame thingies to set beside it... you could load it with a bunch of pics of both families, including your grandparents, and a few of you as a couple, and let it just cycle through.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • sorry for the wedding photo suggestion, I should have thought of that. 

You could also have a pendent/locket (I'm sure there's a better name), hanging off your bouqet, like this... 
  • I don't see how it's inappropriate to include pictures of family members who have passed. In fact, I think that if they were a significant part of your life, I think it'd be inconsiderate for you not to give some nod to them.
    That doesn't mean you have to do some big mourning moment or moments of silence or anything extreme... but placing pictures near a guest book or somewhere similar is perfectly fine IMO.

As far as including your FI's grandparents... That's up to you and your FI. I personally would include them out of respect, but I don't know their relationship. Maybe just included a picture or two?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re:Memorial Photos:[QUOTE]I am playing the organ for a memorial service tomorrow at my church.nbsp; That is when memorial photographs are appropriate, not at a wedding. Don't do it. It can be a real downer for some guests.nbsp; Your wedding should be about you and your living family members. Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]
    I agree. Some people get upset immediately when they see pictures of a past love one. My dad died 3 yrs ago and I'm still avoiding his pictures. I think posting pics can definitely ruin the mood.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_memorial-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b2f3b212-173e-4a2e-a9ca-5f556e632b57Post:20dc7298-3544-4e32-8408-d7ee32412c4d">Re: Memorial Photos</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a fan of memorials at weddings - it's a day of celebration for your and your husband, not another memorial service.  I say skip it.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

Me too!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards