Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

how many of you ladies are....

skipping the garter toss? Or skipping tossing the bouquet?  Every time i think of the garter toss it just seems like it would be very AWK and embarassing. so i was thinking if we skip one we need to skip both. advice please.

TIA

Re: how many of you ladies are....

• Options
    edited June 2010
    FI wants to do the garter toss and I am fine with that.
    I'm not doing the bouquet toss because I know how painfully embarrassing it can be for 'single' women.  Especially when paired with Beyonce's disastrous song...

I know this because even though I had a bf/am now engaged, I'm still considered single and have been pulled onto the dance floor to try to catch the bouquet.  Awful.

• Options
    We are doing both as well. I don't think its awkward, but that might just be me. Brides have been doing it for years.
  • Options
    I am considering doing the bouquet toss and skipping the garter toss.  I don't need FI crawling up my leg in front of everybody.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    I think we are going to skip the garter toss and do the bouquet toss.
  • Options
    We didn't do either one and no one noticed at all! We didn't have many single people at the wedding and I didn't like the idea of doing the whole garter taking off in front of my family and friends.
    ~Erin~
    proud pagan
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We skipped both. We used my free toss bouquet as the gift for the anniversary dance. We didn't have many single people at our wedding and I know I always hated this tradition.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We aren't doing either. My FH does want to take my garter off but no tosses. We are going to have a married couples dance and whatever couple has been married the longest will get the toss bouquet and garter.

And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    We're not doing either toss. I don't want to wear a garter for 12 hours, and a toss bouquet would be extra from my florist, so it just seemed easier not to.
  • Options
    We plan to skip the garter toss because we will have very few single men at the wedding.  I've been asked to keep the bouquet toss in mostly because we will have a bunch of young girls who are so looking forward to this.  My FSIL has 3 girls who are totally excited about the toss. This is the first wedding the girls have attended since it not adults only.
  • Options
    We're doing both, but we still have a lot of single friends who are actually looking forward to it because they're usually fun. I always enjoyed them at weddings.. if you have the right crowd and the dj knows how to hype it up it's a lot of fun. But, if we didn't have many single friends left, we would definitely skip it because I wouldn't want to single anyone out or embarass them.
  • Options
    Mrs**DMrs**D member
    First Comment
    we are doing both but we have many single friends. However, we haven't decided if we're going to do the traditional, only single friends. I have heard of attaching a gift certificate to each and letting everyone go for it. And I have always thought that it would be funny to have the two who catch the bouquet and garter, married, dating or not, dance to "Keep your hands to yourself" afterwards.

But we are a very goofy couple and most of our family and friends are too, and we figure what's a party without some good laughter?
  • Options
    Skipping the garter toss, more than likely doing the bouquet toss.
  • Options
    we're doing both and inviting everyone to participate.
  • Options
    FI refuses to skip the garter toss cause he wants to take it off with his teeth. Silly man. I'm kind of over the whole boquet toss thing so we'll probably have one of those dances where all the married couple come up and they dance and the dj calls out how long couple have been married and the last couple who has been married the longest will get the bouquet.
    Visit Vineyard.weddings.com
  • Options
    We are skipping the tosses and doing an anniversary dance instead.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't really want to do the garter thing, but DH really wanted to and I couldn't say no since he pretty much let me do whatever I wanted with everything else wedding related.  My mother was completely horrified at the idea, but we did it anyway.  It actually turned out to be really fun and some of the best pictures are from the whole garter/bouquet toss part.
  • Options
    I went to a wedding where they skipped the garter toss, and instead of a bouquet toss the bride gave it to her mother as a thank you for all of her support.  If you have a family member or close friend you want to recognize, that might be a nice way to "hand off" the bouquet instead of tossing.
  • Options
    Not doing either.  I haven't been to a wedding where they did either of those since I was in high school (i'm in my early 30s)... 
  • Options

My FI and I decided to do neither of them. I don't like to have alot of attention on myself (hard to do being that i'll be the bride) but anyway that I can minimize it, i'll do. Plus most of the our invited guests are coupled up already. It would be embarassing for someone to be stuck up there alone.

• Options
    we're skipping both.  Mainly because I feel that they bring all the energy to a grinding halt, and that's not what I want.  Secondly, I'm not doing bouquets, my bridesmaids and I are carrying lanterns, and I think it wouldn't be a good idea to toss something made of metal and glass at people, something tells me they may not like it (I'm not a flower person)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_many-of-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b35703a4-a02a-499d-b839-a6cedf076702Post:2cdfc978-0ed5-4f57-8d01-3d97711b9117">Re: how many of you ladies are....</a>:
    [QUOTE]We skipped both. We used my free toss bouquet as the gift for the anniversary dance. We didn't have many single people at our wedding and I know I always hated this tradition.
    Posted by waltzingmatilda13[/QUOTE]

Ditto!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Skipped both... hate both. And at my "advanced bridal age" I have very few single friends left, so it would have been a horrible act of Bridezilla-ness to try to do a traditional bouquet toss anyway.

The idea of my husband removing an intimate item of my clothing and tossing it to a slavering pack of men is just gross to me, so that was never a question.
  • Options
    I'm skipping both. They sem vaguely sexist and I never enjoy them as a single person. I once saw the bouquet fall to the ground. Usually the ring bearer and flower girl end up catching them.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I am SO glad someone asked about the dreaded garter toss!
    I thought I might be the only one foregoing it- I am now relieved that others are moving away from it, too.
    I risk offending some ladies who think the toss is amusing and traditional, and but with all due respect, personally, I find the garter toss in poor taste and completely antiquated in that vein.
    I'm a relatively modest person, so I would not be having my new husband hide-and-seeking under my gown. That's just not me.

Now, I may seem contradictory as I say this one, but I think the bouquet toss is just cute in contrast. No digging for buried treasure, just throwing flowers. Not planning to throw my REAL bouquet though, just an imposter.

• Options
    entwinedloveentwinedlove member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    When I was younger, I thought the idea of the garter toss was embarrassing and strange. Now, I think I'm comfortable enough in my own skin* and with the people invited to our wedding that it won't bother me at all. Of the few weddings I've been to, the single guys were never really enthusiastic about catching the garter, so I don't know if we'll be tossing it, but I won't mind FI getting it off of me.

And I caught the bouquet at the last three (or was it four?) weddings I've been to, silly Beyonce song and all. I didn't mind being singled out. (pun intended, lol.)

We won't have very many single people at our wedding, though, so as much as I like these traditions, I don't think we'll be tossing either.

ETA: I don't mean that anyone not doing the garter thing isn't comfortable in her own skin. I just tend to be less modest than average and I'm okay with showing a bit of leg/thigh for the garter thing. Just as long as FI doesn't cause me to flash the grandparents or something, if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    We are skipping both.  Small wedding and mostly couples anyway.  The last wedding I was at I was the only single person there and it was super embarassing!  The bride just walked over to me and handed the bouquet to me :)  If I was having a bigger wedding I would likely skip them as well...I'm like a PP and am at an "advanced bridal age"  LOL

I was once at a wedding where the groom went under the bride's gown to get the garter and he came out with a rubber chicken and an assortment of other funny things before coming out with the garter. It was quite hilarious, as the couple are really fun that way.  It was definitely "them" and the energy was maintained with the laughter and silliness of the "tradition". 

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    I recently read an article that stated that both "traditions" are becoming passe. I don't plan to do either.
  • Options
    No way am I doing a garter toss... I find it beyond tacky - what a gross "tradition!"  I am also not fond of the bouquet toss - it just seems sort of obnoxious and feels like something that's done to make single people feel bad for not being in a relationship.  Then again, I have a horror of many wedding traditions - I definitely want my wedding to be a wedding, but I don't want to include anything that makes me (garter toss) or my ladies (bouquet toss) or anyone else uncomfortable.  Because part of having a wedding where people have fun is making sure that no one feels uncomfortable.  Also, what parents want to see their daughter's garter removed?  Gross.  I'm going to go shudder a bit in the corner...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_many-of-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b35703a4-a02a-499d-b839-a6cedf076702Post:9e9b144a-4c24-48a1-9000-65df1e603d30">Re: how many of you ladies are....</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I was younger, I thought the idea of the garter toss was embarrassing and strange. Now, I think I'm comfortable enough in my own skin* and with the people invited to our wedding that it won't bother me at all. Of the few weddings I've been to, the single guys were never really enthusiastic about catching the garter, so I don't know if we'll be tossing it, but I won't mind FI getting it off of me. And I caught the bouquet at the last three (or was it four?) weddings I've been to, silly Beyonce song and all. I didn't mind being singled out. (pun intended, lol.) We won't have very many single people at our wedding, though, so as much as I like these traditions, I don't think we'll be tossing either. ETA: I don't mean that anyone not doing the garter thing isn't comfortable in her own skin. I just tend to be less modest than average and I'm okay with showing a bit of leg/thigh for the garter thing. Just as long as FI doesn't cause me to flash the grandparents or something, if you know what I mean.
    Posted by entwinedlove[/QUOTE] yeah totally undderstand I didnt read it that way. But i am so not comfortable in my skin anyways!!
  • Options
    Probably not doing either toss... there's something creepy about the garter toss and something corny about the bouquet toss... but maybe it's just me.
    Scrabble high score: 531
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards