Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Nontraditional ceremony music?

I'm not even sure how music works during a wedding ceremony... do you have something playing for the seating of honored guests, then something different for the wedding party, then something different for the bride, then something different during the recessional?

Anyway, I was playing with the idea of having a talented family friend record some modern songs on the piano and use those instead of whatever is traditional. I am not a huge fan of the bridal march or Pachobel music and would prefer to enter to something else. My venue coordinator and DJ say this is frowned upon.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Re: Nontraditional ceremony music?

• We used the same song for everyone to come in - The Wedding Song (Open Window) by Sarah Harmer.  Order was Groomsman, Best Man, FI with his parents, BM, MOH, me and my parents.  Our grandparents have passed, so no seating of honored guests since our parents came in with each of us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I guess you could say we are having nontraditional ceremony music. My future husband plays full time bluegrass. I am walking in to a slow fiddle tune, a bluegrass wedding song will be sung during the cermony, and walking out to an Irish fiddle tune. Nontraditional..
  • Mine is totally non-traditional. I'm walking down to a Coldplay song. :) It's doesn't have to be anything in particular. Just find a song you like. Your DJ and venue coordinator are cracked. It's your day. Do what you want.
  • I'm walking down to a classical piano version of "nothing else matters" by Metallica.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 62 Made the cut!
    image 58 Are ready to fly with us image 4 Are missing out! image As of August 14th, everyone has finally made up their minds!
  • cpfwvucpfwvu member
    First Comment
    I'm having music from the movie "Up" played during the prelude. It's a really sweet tune. You can order the piano solo book from Amazon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm planning on walking down the aisle to "Blackbird" by the Beatles, but played by a friend on an acoustic guitar in the style of Sarah McLachlan's cover. It's a really meaningful song to me, and I'm so excited to have this personal touch to the cermony!! Good luck--do what makes you happy!!
  • Love those ideas... thanks for the support!
  • Totally agree with the no-so-traditional ceremony music!!

We are using Stealing Cinderella by Chuck Wicks fo the Flower Girl then My Dad & I to walk down to.
    Haven't completely decided on what the BM, GM, MOH, & Best Man will walk down to yet..

Our order is:
    Groomsmen & Bridesmaids, Best Man & Maid of Honor, Ring Bearer, Flower Girl, then My Dad & I.
  • My photographer (and close friend) walked down the aisle to "Hey Jude" and I love that idea. I cant steal it but I do think our receasional song will be "All You Need Is Love". I heart THE BEATLES!
  • I love the idea of using modern music - even a song written just for you would be beautiful.  I think that the only important thing is that you, the bride, walk in to your own song, so that it will stand out.  We have chosen:
    Songs while Guests are Seated:

The Beatles – All my Loving

The Beatles – Ob-la-di Ob-la-da

The Beatles - I Will

Ingrid Michaelson – You and I

Ingrid Michaelson – The Way that I Am

Jason Mraz - I’m Yours

Train – Marry Me

Pain White T’s – Rhythm of Love

Adam Sandler - I Wanna Grow Old With You

Mothers and Grandmothers are sat: Carrie Underwood – Mama’s Song

Bridal Party Walk In To: Bill Withers – Lean on Me

Processional: Isreal Kamakawiwo’ole - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Recessional: The Beatles – When I’m 64
  • sm5368sm5368 member
    First Comment
    we're only having two songs played.  Edelweiss (sound of music) upon entry and Handel's Vivace upon exit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards