Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Double Barrelled Last Name

I was wondering if anyone else is planning (or has) a double barrel last name.  For example, if my name is Jane Amanda Smith and I am marrying a Jones, my name would be Jane Amanda Smith Jones, with Smith Jones as my last name (not moving Smith to a middle name).

I kind of like it better than hyphenating because I plan on using Smith Jones for the professional setting, but Jones in the personal setting.  I feel like it is easier to do that if I double barrel as opposed to hyphenating.

Thoughts?  Has anyone done this?

Re: Double Barrelled Last Name

• I am doing this professionally and legally.  (For daily social life, I'll stick with his name.)  Part of the reason is that I have established myself professionally with my own name and I want people to be able to "find" me.
  • I think that is perfectly fine. That is definitely the most common reason on why I see ladies do that with their names.
  • i was playing with doing that.  i heard that people get confused and think part of the last name is your middle name, so your records might become complicated, but then everything is complicated when you're already established under one name and switch (as in marriage).

sasha baron cohen and helena bonham carter are two individuals with double barrelled last names.
  • I am doing that only because I have children and I want to still be connected by name to them.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Lots of people have a hyphenated last name. 
  • Without the hyphen, some people (and agencies... and businesses...) find two last names a little confusing. At least in the US. In some other countries it is much more common. I'd check with your state and your marriage license application to make sure it is possible.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Just be careful.  I have a friend who was  Firstname, middlename, reallylonglastname-normallastname.  Than she got married.  She just changed her name to her husbands, otherwise it would have just been ridiculous. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • I've heard of people doing this and having problems.  Apparently, not all states will let you have a two word last name on your drivers license and stuff, but hyphenating works just fine.  If you know anyone locally that does this, I would ask them if they've had problems with it.

It's your name and you can do whatever you want, but you don't want to choose an option that ends up being a huge PITA if adding the hyphen would solve it.  
  • I also have made a name for myself in my industry so my thinking is that I will legally take my FI's last so I will be known in all aspects as J Smith.  However, when it comes to work, my business cards, resume, email signature, etc. will read "J Jones Smith" (Jones being my maiden name).  That way my maiden name that people currently know me as will still be there, yet there will be no problems with travel, government agencies, etc.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards