Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Mexican traditions??

Im having one hell of a time finding out anything in regards to mexican traditions. FI is mexican and im just a mix of all kinds of stuff. 

His family is very "white washed" but I think it would be fun if we added something in that follows his heritage. 

Anyone have any ideas or know of anything?
pregnancy calendar

Re: Mexican traditions??

• Options
    Why don't you ask him or his family what traditions are important to them specifically? A country is a very large place and different people from different areas can have widely varied traditions.
  • Options
    pgcppgcp member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Ethnic traditions that aren't meaningful to the family are silly to throw in just because.  Find out what traditions are important to his family and incorporate those.
  • Options

the Lazo is important and kind of fun, an easy one to incorporate into a white wedding imo. I have a lot of friends who have had white-mexican weddings and it seems to go over well since the meaning is still understandable to non-mexicans (especially if your offitiant takes a moment to explain it as it goes on). I've seen it put on usually before the vows.
    I found this about it:
    http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/articles/mexico/Mexican-Wedding-Traditions/1083

Mexican Wedding Lazo

A lazo is a large rosary, a ribbon or a decorated cord that is symbolically draped around the necks or shoulders of the bride and the groom. It is first placed around the groom’s neck or shoulders. It affirms their union and their commitment to always be together side-by-side. The couple wears the lasso throughout the service and at the end of the ceremony; the lasso is removed and is given to the Bride as a keepsake

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    His family doesnt KNOW anything. They arent from Mexico and their parents who were are dead so thats not going to help. 

Thank you for your input!
    pregnancy calendar
  • Options
    Does HE want Mexican traditions in the wedding?  I'm half Mexican and I'm not really including anything "Mexican" because it's just not my thing. 

My family will be there to celebrate with us - we have a family song that we play at every party - but that's as far as my fiance and I plan to take it.  Oh and I think my mom wants to make Mexican wedding cakes as party favors.  Maybe something simple like that would be a good cultural reminder without going over the top.
  • Options
    my fiance recently dj-ed a wedding where the bride was Mexican.  He blended the father/daughter specially for them.  The first half was the english version of the song, the second half was the spanish version.  I thought it was sweet without being over the top.  Maybe something like that can be done for the mother/son dance if you're having one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards