Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Requesting Hand in Marriage?

My FI told my parents he was going to ask me to marry him and asked them for their blessing. They said no because I was a junior in college and they wanted me to be an adult in the "real world' first. Knowing that they said no, I said yes anyways. We did postpone our wedding. 
We have now been engaged for nearly two years. We both graduated college (he has a masters in business administration and a degree in professional golf managemnt, I have a BS in Elementary Education) and we both have full-time jobs (he is the 1st assistant at a golf course-will be promoted to head professional in a few months) and I am an elementary teacher. 
My parents are still not ok with us getting married. They feel that he was disrespectful by not waiting at least a year or two before proposing and say that if I marry him, it will mess up our family dynamic. I am very close with my parents but since he proposed without their permission, they say that they will never be able to get over it. Basically, they want me to call off the wedding, leave him, and find someone else.
I have done as they asked-we've been engaged two years. We live separately. We both have full-time jobs and can support ourselves. But we're ready to be married.  And we want their support.

What do you think?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards