Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

When do you do the first dance?

Is the first dance supposed to be right in the beginning of the reception before dinner or is it supposed to be after dinner?  I was thinking of doing it right away after coming in to the reception but I wasn't sure if that is the appropriate time.  Thanks!

Re: When do you do the first dance?

• There's really two ways in general:

1. Enter reception, cut cake, first dance, eat, BM/MOH speeches, eat some more, dance some more

OR

2. Enter reception, cut cake, eat, BM/MOH speeches, first dance, keep dancing

Option #1 is preferred IMHO
  • I was curious about this too!

I thought the bridal party, bride and groom made an entrance, maybe a fun little dance and then everyone ate dinner, after dinner there is a "first dance" to open the dance floor up to all guest.

Lately, Ive been seeing a lot of bride and grooms doing the first dance right as they enter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    We did the first dance right after we entered for several reasons:

1) We didn't want to be nervous all through dinner, we wanted it over with.
    2) To me, it seemed to make for a better "flow": we were announced, we walked in, and went right into the first dance, then dinner began.
    3) We weren't doing any other spotlight dances so we figured we might as well get this one out of the way.

We cut the cake and did toasts right after dinner before dancing.  I have seen the cake cut as soon as the B&G walk in--people do it then since everyone is already up and standing and this way are less likely to miss it.

There is really no right or wrong answer.  If  you have a DJ or event planner, he/she can also help you figure out what will work best.
  • I'd think and cake cutting comes after the meal is served-not before.  But the first dance is usually some time before the cake cutting.
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_when-do-you-do-the-first-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:bca68d3b-4f58-464a-99d0-5f4dcbab7a68Post:5a337185-a1d9-4130-893b-af783958c69c">Re: When do you do the first dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's really two ways in general: 1. Enter reception, cut cake, first dance, eat, BM/MOH speeches, eat some more, dance some more OR 2. Enter reception, cut cake, eat, BM/MOH speeches, first dance, keep dancing Option #1 is preferred IMHO
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

The cake gets cut after dinner. Who wants to eat their dessert before their meal?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_when-do-you-do-the-first-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:bca68d3b-4f58-464a-99d0-5f4dcbab7a68Post:0d9efb74-3801-4553-bcd0-f027d88b46ad">Re:
    When do you do the first dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: When do you do
    the first dance? :  The cake gets cut after dinner. Who wants to eat their
    dessert before their meal?
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

At the wedding I went to, the B&G did the cake cutting/photo op, but then the cake was taken away and served as dessert at the end of the plated meal.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_when-do-you-do-the-first-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:bca68d3b-4f58-464a-99d0-5f4dcbab7a68Post:882c8aee-1e85-4ac1-a439-e2ef41c0cfb5">Re: When do you do the first dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: When do you do the first dance? : At the wedding I went to, the B&G did the cake cutting/photo op, but then the cake was taken away and served as dessert at the end of the plated meal.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

It may be a regional thing because I've been to 10 weddings in 2 years and have never seen the cake cut before dinner.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_when-do-you-do-the-first-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:bca68d3b-4f58-464a-99d0-5f4dcbab7a68Post:a8386649-5a08-448f-b566-d0a5037eec07">Re: When do you do the first dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: When do you do the first dance? : It may be a regional thing because I've been to 10 weddings in 2 years and have never seen the cake cut before dinner.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I think it is regional. I almost always see it cut before dinner anymore, and I've never ever ever seen it any other time than right before or right after dinner, and I know a lot of people say it's later into the dance. I like it cut before dinner since then I get my cake right after I eat. I always want cake as soon as possible!</div>
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • our venue has it planned to get announced, do a toast, speeches; dinner, cake and then first dance, spotlight dance etc.  We were thinking of splitting it up to us doing our first dance when we enter.  Sitting down for the toasts, speeches, dinner; cut the cake and then open the dance floor starting with father/bride dance and groom/mother dance.  It really can be done in whatever order you'd prefer.  I've seen a mixture of first dance after being announced as much as it has been done after dinner.

Anniversary
  • I've been to several weddings this year.  Most had the first dance after dinner.  However, one couple did right after they were introduced to the crowd and I liked this.  You have everyone's attention and it's just a good time to do it.   
  • Weddings I've been to recently: B&G enter, first dance, spotlight dances, dinner with table visits, cut cake, dancing and cake is served during the dancing.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards