Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Unity Candle Alternatives?

Other than the sand, are there any other cute alternatives to the unity candle? I've heard something about locks..but haven't found or heard much about that.. I want something a little different, but still has the same traditional concept.. any suggestions??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Unity Candle Alternatives?

• we did a unity candle but didn't want to do a regular pillar candle so I did my own twist on it. I got a traditional unity candle stand and tapers but instead of a pillar I got a cylinder vase, beads (balls) that were pearlized white & ivory in different sizes and clear gel beads (the ones that absorb water and are used in vases). I put a spoonful or two of the clear beads in the vase then a few beads, then more clear beads & place more colored beads & more clear beads, etc. Then I topped it off with a floating candle. From a distance it looked liked the beads were suspended in the water with the floating candle on top. I did do two practice runs before the wedding to get the look I wanted just right.
  • We had a wine ceremony, and it turned out beautifully.  Plus now we have engraved glasses we can toast with on our anniversaries!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• We did a wine box ceremony.  It was something that was meaningful to us, and gives us a nice momento of our wedding day.  We also received lots of compliments from our guests because most had never seen it done before.
  • My frind and her husband made a braid (three vstrands, one for each of them and one fo love) and I've heard of people tying knots. You can do pretty much whatever you want! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our officiant's suggestion was a "tie the knot" ceremony - it has historical meaning, plus it's something a little different!

I do love the wine box ceremony that PPs mentioned. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_unity-candle-alternatives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:c10cb22a-dadb-43d5-9420-0b66a11df62bPost:8a24a622-4caf-4d5a-9ae0-5338c1075b3f">Re: Unity Candle Alternatives?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did a wine box ceremony.  It was something that was meaningful to us, and gives us a nice momento of our wedding day.  We also received lots of compliments from our guests because most had never seen it done before.
    Posted by libby2483[/QUOTE]

Ive never seen a wine box ceremony.... I will check it out! :) THANKS!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have seen some super cute ideas. Rather than type them out here, I will direct you to http://offbeatbride.com/ Just type "unity" in the custom google search bar on the right side of the screen. There are some fantastic posts. (I just love the whole site!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards