Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

First Dances / Other traditional dances

What other options are there to a first dance/father daughter dance/mother son dance etc?

I just feel awkward being the only once dancing while everyone else watches us. 

Re: First Dances / Other traditional dances

• Options
    Not having them's always an option. We aren't doing any parent dances at our wedding.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    You can combine them - you dance with your dad at the same time that FI dances with his mom. You could eliminate them all together. Or you could have your DJ announce the father/daughter dance but have him invite others to dance also.

Also, most people don't watch those dances. When I'm a guest at a wedding, I kind of glance over and "oh how cute" and carry on with my quiet conversation with someone at my table.
  • Options
    Certainly skip them.

I would make sure to communicate to your parent(s) that there won't be any dances so they aren't disappointed on the day-of.

Take the time to get a special picture with each of your parents on the dance floor while you're dancing with the other guests (if you want to). Just let your photog know.
  • Options
    Unless this is something your father and FMIL have been looking forward to doing, skip them.  Your guests will thank you.  However, please be sure to check because some parents dream about a moment like this for a long time..
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    The only dance we're doing is our first dance.  We're cutting out both the father-daughter dance and the mother-son dance.  Neither of us is really interested in a spotlight dance with our parents.  We'll probably find a way to dance with them during the night, and hopefully get a picture of it, but we won't make of point of drawing people's attention to it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    we did the father/daughter & son/mother dance at the same time. The floor was big enough that we weren't too close together so it still allowed photographer to get some great shots. But it helped take pressure off doing them at the same time. It also saved time
  • Options
    Skipping these dances is perfectly acceptable.  Just open the dance floor to everyone when you're ready to start dancing.
  • Options
    I had plans to skip this, but found of this weekend my father has been planning it out. He is not one to talk feelings, or "get involved" in the process, so I knew it meant a lot to him. He even picked out songs. So, I guess I have to take one for the team.

I wouldn't mind so much, but my husband's mother passed away years ago, so we will not be doing a mother/son dance. It would have been less awkward feeling for me had we been able to share it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards