Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

When you walk down the aisle are you supposed to wear your engagement ring?

I know that the groom slips on you wedding band after the vows but does he put both the engagement ring and the wedding band on? or just the wedding band? I know when you wear your engagement ring after your married it is on top of the band... ahhh so confused? 

Re: When you walk down the aisle are you supposed to wear your engagement ring?

• Before the ceremony you move your engagment ring to your right hand then you move it back after the ceremony
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, you can wear it on your other hand, OR just leave it on. Have him put the wedding band in front of it, and then switch them around after the ceremony.
  • OR you can leave it off all together and put it back on before the reception. There is no real right or wrong way.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_walk-down-aisle-supposed-wear-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:c23a29de-1822-4ea7-906c-8aaf58c71c10Post:b1b634a4-a1d0-4f6a-b1da-741e318eb77d">Re: When you walk down the aisle are you supposed to wear your engagement ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Before the ceremony you move your engagment ring to your right hand then you move it back after the ceremony
    Posted by mysticl[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I did.
  • I'll just be leaving mine on my left hand.  My e ring doesn't fit on my right hand.
  • We actually had a bit in the ceremony after the ring exchange where DH placed the engagement ring over the wedding band.  I mean to switch my e-ring to my right hand before the ceremony, but I completely forgot.  Partway through, I surreptitiously slipped it onto my right pinky so we could do the exchange properly.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • My e-ring doesn't fit properly on my right hand. I wore it on my left hand during the ceremony and switched the rings to their proper positions on my way to the reception.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • oh WOW! i thought you take off the e ring and he puts on both the e ring n band since my set is of 3 at the ceremony.  so confused now
    save the date planning My Bio updated 05/22/11 image 184 Invited
    image129 are ready to party! image 39 missing out image 16 are driving me crazy
    RSVP Date: May 14, Wedding: June 18
  • I had mine soldered together before the ceremony so that it is all one piece and this wasn't even an issue for me.  If you are planning to solder them after the ceremony, I would just do it before.  As much as I didn't want to give up my ring for the week before the ceremony, I would have wanted to give it up after the wedding even less!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_walk-down-aisle-supposed-wear-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:c23a29de-1822-4ea7-906c-8aaf58c71c10Post:443adab5-8af8-46f4-9469-59c7ad4a7e19">Re: When you walk down the aisle are you supposed to wear your engagement ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My e-ring doesn't fit properly on my right hand. I wore it on my left hand during the ceremony and switched the rings to their proper positions on my way to the reception.
    Posted by twilight.rose[/QUOTE]
    A quick pre-wedding trial showed that my e-ring fit on my right ring finger, but had to be sort of pried off.  I had it on my right pinky for the ring exchange.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • HAHA I guess there is no wrong way. I like the right hand idea except my fingers are fatter. I guess I will go with the flow. Thank you ladies!
  • I'm actually getting my egagement ring and wedding band sottered (spelling?) together so FI will just be able to put them both on at once at the ceremony. Our jeweler said that it's common to do so the bands don't wear down on each other and if at any point I decide I want them separate, it's an easy thing to do.

It totally eased my worries about that! :)
  • Rosie it sounds like you have a ring set where the e-ring sits in the middle, it that case I'd go with the idea you had of him putting both on at the ceremony. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Or you can have your husband put on the band and engagment ring at the same time- thats what I did
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yes my e ring sits in the middle of the 2 bands.

thanks girls ! i was really confused
    save the date planning My Bio updated 05/22/11 image 184 Invited
    image129 are ready to party! image 39 missing out image 16 are driving me crazy
    RSVP Date: May 14, Wedding: June 18
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_walk-down-aisle-supposed-wear-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:c23a29de-1822-4ea7-906c-8aaf58c71c10Post:6a5ba863-5f20-4112-b41d-350b4e3b76c8">Re: When you walk down the aisle are you supposed to wear your engagement ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, you can wear it on your other hand,<strong> OR just leave it on. Have him put the wedding band in front of it, and then switch them around after the ceremony.</strong>
    Posted by Knittibell[/QUOTE]

This is what I did
  • I also have a "jacket" style wedding ring...I think I will just put the three pieces together ahead of time and give it to him, so when he slips it on my finger, everything will already be together.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards