Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Having the rehearsal the same day.

It's against the whole "groom isn't allowed to see the bride on the wedding day till she is walking down the aisle" thing, but the place we will have the ceremony at will only let us have it for the day of the wedding (the entire day) unless we pay for the day before too.  We are on  very tight budget, and although it's only $100 a day, that's a lot of money for us.  I don't know what to do.  I want to go with tradition, but I also don't want to put out an extra $100 just for that.  We could rent it for both days, and decorate/set up the day before and have the rehearsal the night before then go our separate ways till the following night (and pay an extra $100) or we could rent it for the day of, set up that day and have the rehearsal that morning (and brake tradition).

Re: Having the rehearsal the same day.

• I didn't vote, but what time is your wedding? After thinking about this, I think it would be a lot on the guests to do it all in one day. $100 really isn't that much considering the grand scheme of things in your wedding. Plus the RD is usually a place to relax a bit and mingle with family and friends before the wedding.
  • The $100 spent for the extra day will be worth it in the end.  Your wedding day is going to be busy as it is...don't add the stress of setting up the venue and having the rehearsal to it.  That's just asking for a headache and a stressful day.
    Anniversary
  • Agree with PPs.  Spend the $100, you will be so glad you did. You will be busy enough the day of, you do NOT need to worry about decorating or doing rehearsal that day as well. Decorate the day before, enjoy your rehearsal and rehearsal dinner, and enjoy the morning of your wedding with your bridesmaids, mom and anyone else helping you get ready for your day.
    Crosswalk
  • So im new to the states, and was recently in a wedding where they did an officiail rehearsal...i was amazed we dont do such thing at home,or its not as common, for my cousins wedding we did a rehearsal but it wasnt at the ceremony site, we just walked down and stood where we would stand and figured out timing and things, now im here and i think the rehearsal idea is great, 100 dollars on my budget could be used for something alot more useful, just an idea that you do the rehearsal at a home or in a garden or something like that. just an idea :)  good luck
  • I don't believe in the tradition of not seeing each other the day of (we shared a room) but I think you will probably be busy on that day. If it is at all possible, spend the 100$, but if you can't, it is not the end of the world as long as it is early enough for you to get back and get your hair/makeup done.
  • You don't have to have the rehearsal on-site. You could just do a quick run through wherever you are having the rehearsal dinner. There really isn't much to it. Just decide in which order everyone will walk down the aisle.

• Ditto pp's spend the extra $100 to have it the day before. The RD should be a nice relaxing time spent with your families and WP celebrating what's to come. If you have it the day of everything will be rushed and stressful and it's a lot to ask of your family and WP.

This has nothing to do with the silly tradition of the groom not seeing the bride before the wedding either. Many people no longer keep to that and do pictures before the ceremony so they don't miss cocktail hour and keep the guests waiting for the reception to start. Many knotties on here rave about their decision to do pictures beforehand. HTH!
  • We had a rehearsal...ish the same day of the wedding.  The ceremony was at 7:30pm, at noon we gathered everyone so we could figure out where they all would stand and where the aisle would go, then everyone had lunch.  I wish we'd done a full run-through; we ended up processing to the wrong song because the people starting didn't know what they were listening for and decided to just start walking, and the officiant said a few things anyway that I'd purposefully left out of the ceremony.  Probably my one regret from the wedding is not doing a rehearsal.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • i think its worth the $100 to be able to get in to decorate and set up and get confertable with the space.

if your wedding is later (which it obviously is if youre considering a rd same day) then you can do the decorating same day and rehearse elsewhere the day before, (all you need is an aisle and an alter) but you will be busy enough the day of.

since the tradition is important to you, my vote is to pay the 100 or rehearse elsewhere.
    10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hiscb.blogspot.com/
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    I voted to pay for the extra day.

I don't think it's really a big deal whether or not you follow "tradition", unless it's important to you that you do.

But while I know it can seem like a lot of money,  if this is also giving you extra time to set up the night before, then do it. You really don't want to be decorating your venue the day of. I'm going to guess that people like your family and your BP would be helping with the set up? Trust me, everybody is going to have more than enough to do on your wedding day and this would be a huge weight off of everybody's shoulders to get it out of the way the night before.

Look at the $100 as more of a "convenience fee". You're essentially paying to not have a huge headache.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • i vote pay for the extra day. it will calm your nerves and jitters......as well as everyone else.......for the big day...I'd be stressing if I didnt have a rehearsal! (is so and so going to stand in the right place, etc) Especially for the first person in the line! they really need to know where to go and stand!

if anything, have the rehearsal in a backyard or something like pp said
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards