Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Sixpence vs. Penny

I have been a BM 8 times, and I had always heard a "penny in your shoe" for good luck.  I was especially thrilled that immediately after FI proposed we found a penny, and I saved it for the wedding.  Then since I've been on here and talked to another friend I found out it's supposed to be a sixpence.  Has anyone heard of the penny tradition vs. the sixpence?

Re: Sixpence vs. Penny

• The original poem states sixpence, which is the United Kingdom (Ireland, England, Scotland and others) version of a penny. 

However, because I'm an American first, and second have Scottish ancestry, I would try not to use something from an English tradition.   I used a penny at my first wedding, in 1985.  Two years ago, when I got married for the second time, I wore barefoot sandals, so there was no place to put the penny. 

What you do just depends on your choice. 

image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • My parent's have an extensive coin collection so they gave me one of their six pence.  I have also heard of people buying them online.  But really, its just a tradition....a penny would work just fine :-)
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • How bout 6 pennies? =0)
    Photobucket
  • I think I will stick with the penny since it has special meaning to us being as how we found it walking back to FI's truck right after he proposed.  We almost lost it again, though.  Him being a guy had of course never heard of the penny in the shoe tradition.  When I asked him the next day where the penny was, he told me he had thrown it in the change cup in his truck!  Luckily, we happened to have looked at the year when we found it (1973) and all of the other pennies in the cup were newer.  It now resides safely in my ring box where I hope I wil remember it on my wedding day.  Thanks for your input, ladies!
  • this is going to sound really really weird.  I'm using a wooden nickel.  well 2 actually (they're thick enough i need one for each shoe to balance it).  My grandpa (he passed away in 08) and I had a thing...whenever we'd get off the phone or he'd drop me off we'd say bye (if he was dropping me off we'd hug) and he'd always tell me not to take no wooden nickels.  I'd always say pappaw! wooden nickels aren't real!  So my fiance is loaning me 2 wooden nickels (they're boyscout nickels and he's an Eagle)  that way I can honor my grandpa.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards