Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

catholic wedding in North Carolina but want it outside

Does anyone know a Priest in NC that will marry outside?

Re: catholic wedding in North Carolina but want it outside

• Options
    What if i'm marrying someone who is not Catholic? is there an exception?
  • Options
    Ditto Stage.  You can certainly get married outside, but if you want it to be recognized by the Church, you have to follow their rules.  Doesn't make a difference if both parties aren't Catholic, generally only one has to be.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options

I had the same problem here in Wisconsin, but was sadly informed that per the Bishop, no Priest will marry you unless it's inside the church.  My fiance and I decided that our Catholic faith wasn't strong enough anymore so we decided on our dream location and a Lutheran pastor.  We could not be happier with our decision.  Your best bet would be looking into a Lutheran pastor if you want to keep any Catholic aspects in your ceremony.   

• Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-wedding-north-carolina-but-want-outside?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:cae94301-7ee4-4986-96fd-2a8f08560e9cPost:822cafdd-93c5-4653-85c7-78f28613e578">Re: catholic wedding in North Carolina but want it outside</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: catholic wedding in North Carolina but want it outside : Nope, at least not that I have ever heard of.  <strong>Marriage is a sacrament, and in order for you to get "credit" for it, it has to be administered in the church.  Regardless of whether you are marrying a fellow Catholic or not.</strong>
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div><div>I'm just adding on for further clarification.</div><div>
    </div><div>Marriage between two baptized people is a sacrament.  But you can still have a non-sacramental and valid marriage between non-baptized people, such as in the OP's case.</div><div>
    </div><div><div>See this FAQ for more info:</div></div><div><a href="http://www.nccbuscc.org/laity/marriage/marriagefaqs.shtml">http://www.nccbuscc.org/laity/marriage/marriagefaqs.shtml</a></div><div>
    </div><div><div>For your question:</div><div><span style="color:#000000;font-family:arial, helvetica, 'sans serif', verdana;line-height:normal;font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span"><em>If a Catholic wishes to marry in a place outside the Catholic church, how can he or she be sure that the marriage is recognized by the Catholic Church as valid?</em>

The local bishop can permit a wedding in another church, or in another suitable place, for a sufficient reason. For example, a Catholic seeks to marry a Baptist whose father is the pastor of the local Baptist church. The father wants to officiate at the wedding. In these circumstances, the bishop could permit the couple to marry in the Baptist church. The permission in these instances is called a <strong>"dispensation from canonical form."</strong></span></div></div></div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You can always have a quick second ceremony in a church another time!   
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-wedding-north-carolina-but-want-outside?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:cae94301-7ee4-4986-96fd-2a8f08560e9cPost:d1a814f7-3fb6-47be-b5b9-d6d82ae0c72c">Re: catholic wedding in North Carolina but want it outside</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can always have a quick second ceremony in a church another time!   
    Posted by michelleclark73[/QUOTE]
    Not necessarily.  The Church won't just grant convalidations willy-nilly, and it seems that choosing not to marry in the Church just because you want an outdoor wedding is one of the big reasons that they won't approve them.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Yeah,....good luck with that. Catholics tend to be a little bit more particular about restrictions on weddings than some other faiths.  There is a great website called www.catholicbrides.com.  (They are a wedding program company but they have a very informative section on Catholic wedding restrictions on their website).  

Basically, we looked into a Catholic ceremony to appease the family, but after seeing all the crazy restrictions we decided not to.   
  • Options
    If your FI is not Catholic and practices a Protestant or some other religion than techniqually the wedding can be at either your Catholic church or his religious location.  You could probably work it out somehow so that his religious location is the outside location you want.  If you still go through all of the Catholic paper work and the outside location is considered through his church than it should be fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards