Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Who pays for/plans rehearsal dinner?

I have read it's typically the groom's side.  We're not sure if his parents will be able to help. Groom doesn't want to ask. Should he and I plan/pay for ourselves? There is no way I'm asking my family after they are already paying for entire wedding.

Re: Who pays for/plans rehearsal dinner?

• Plan a dinner that you can afford.  If someone offers to help pay for, or totally pay for it, it's the proverbial icing on the cake.

But do not, under any circumstances, expect or ask someone to pay for it.  An RD doesn't have to be a big, fancy deal.  Many have done a relaxing, kicked back pizza and beer;  bbq;  picnic;  RD and everyone loved it.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Yes, plan what you can afford, and if FI's family offers to help later, graciously accept it.  We are in the same boat, so we are trying to plan a nice but affordable dinner.
    Crosswalk
  • Could it be that they have not offered because they do not know that its tradition? My fiance had an older brother who got married so his parents knew already that usually the grooms parents pay. But if not I owuld have felt uncomfy asking, but sure FI would have mentioned it.
  • traditonally the grooms parents pay. thank goodness, in my case too, FI's older sister is already married so they know what the deal is. we are having it at a beach club, but the night before they are kind enough to do a back yard bbq for the family members in town and the bridal party in town! the backyard bbq would suit me just fine for rehearsal dinner too, but some good family friends of mine are throwing a dance party afterwards so we needed a facility.

i bet you can plan a spectacular dinner yourselves that everyone will love!Smile
    Mr. & Mrs. REB
  • many non-knotties don't know all the eq. rules to weddings :) If you're really not going to ask his parents. Try having it some where affordable and fun.  Dave and Busters maybe? :) hehe
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards