Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Can my groom walk me down the isle?

Long story short, I don't talk to my real dad, so I wanted to have my mom and grandfather walk me down the isle. Lately there has been some tension between the two and now they want me to choose one or the other. This is the last thing I want to be worried about right now. If they can't put on a happy face for me on my big day, can I just walk down the isle with my groom?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Can my groom walk me down the isle?

• Have you considered walking the aisle alone?

I think it's pretty selfish of your mom/grandfather forcing you to choose between them. I would think they would be mature enough to suck it up and support you for your big day... Any chance their tension will simmer down in a few weeks so they can both walk you?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Anyone can walk you down the aisle, or like PP said you can walk yourself. H and I walked in together.  It's really sh*tty for your family to try and force you to choose between people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That stinks. Yes you and your grrom can walk down the aisle together. The husband and I did too.
  • I agree with PP's that you can walk with your groom but I think that AmJam04's suggestion may be the best solution for you: walk down the aisle yourself. That way you don't potential offend your mom and grandfather by choosing to walk with your fi down the aisle. It's terrible they are making you choose between them, so I think that if things don't cool down between them so that they agree to both walk you down again, you should consider walking yourself. Good luck :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We walked in together ... it was very comforting to me and we were both relaxed. We gave each other a pep talk that no one else was privy to before the doors opened to go on in, it was nice.

**I really didn't want to enter to "Here Comes the Bride" Processional .. this was my way out of it.
  • I am having my best person walk me down the aisle, because I also don't have a relationship with my father.  I call her my best person, instead of maid of honor or bridesmaid... because I just don't think those words fit her.  She is my best person.  My "bridesmaid" is my fiance's sister.    So, I will be walking, arm in arm with my best friend.  She has been the most supportive person through my whole relationship, so, why not have her hold me up while my knees knock walking down the aisle.

Moral of my story. You get to pick who walks you down the aisle. It doesn't have to be a relative, and it doesn't have to be anyone at all. You can walk all by yourself.  :)  It's YOUR day with your future husband. Do whatever you feel is best for you both and will bring the least amount of drama.
  • Of course you and your groom can walk down the aisle together.  Enjoy it and have fun!
  • vexievexie member
    First Comment

My hubby started off at the front with the minister & his BM and I started walking up the aisle alone. Half-way there I stopped, hubby joined me and we walked the rest of the way together.  I loved it :)

84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • Yeah he can, in some cultures it's even the norm.  If you still want your mom and grandpa to do it, you can give them an ultimatum right back: either both of them or neither of them. I bet they'll take their argument out of the wedding very quickly.
  • arm1030arm1030 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I like Vexie's idea of going half way by myself and my fiancee' joining me and walking the rest of the way with me, that is if I don't cancel it all.  
    He and I have been married before and we had a beautiful ceremony planned with our children (all grown).  I didn't have a nice wedding my first time and my fiancee' wanted me to have it this time.  My son (26) wanted to walk down the aisle with me since my dad passed away in 2002.  By the way, we have sent out close to 100 invitations.  Now, for various reasons, they have all decided, at one month before our wedding, that they want no part of it. My son refuses to walk with me or even come to the wedding.   My daughter (29)  just told me TODAY that she doesn't want to stand up with me, finish the shower she was planning or anything.  His two sons and daughter-in-law are wishy-washy as well.  So, IF we continue with our wedding as planned we have no one to stand with us and we don't know why. None of them will be honest with us!    I am wondering if we even need someone to stand there with us or if we can just have wedding quests sign our marriage license?  So much is up in the air right now and I have lost all my joy and excitement  for my big day! 
    Thanks for listening!
  • I'm so sorry that your family is not being supportive or communicating as the wedding approaches.  

My brother and his wife did not have a wedding party, the officiants I guess signed the license.  I tell you tho, their wedding planning went so smooth that I'm thinking I don't want the wedding party either, especially since I don't have my father to walk me down the aisle and that would have been the most important person standing with me besides my fiance.

I wasn't crazy about the walking with my fiance all the way, but did like the halfway idea.  However you do it, my wishes for a long and happy relationship with your new husband.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards