Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

A parent who cannot come to the wedding

I've been reading about ways to honor a parent who has past away as my FI lost his father several years ago. I've come up with some ideas but now it looks like his mother will not be able to attend :( . She lives in another country and she may not get her visa in time. We are all hoping for the best but planning for the worst. We do plan on having a small ceremony or party when we do get to reunite with her if she cannot attend the wedding.  I feel like we should honor her somehow at the wedding but not as if she is deceased. Any ideas?

Re: A parent who cannot come to the wedding

• Options

I was in the same boat as you. His mother had sent a bracelet of hers she wanted me to have and a patron saint necklace to my husband. So we wore those in our wedding, the bracelet didn't really go with my outfit, but I didn't care..I was just touched she wanted me to have something of hers. We also made sure we had the wedding filmed so we could give her a copy and I just kept her up to date on details and made her feel included as much as I could. I bought her a few parent gifts as well and saved mementos for her. I will be sending them as soon as I get the copy of the DVD and pictures done.
  • Options

Just include her in in as much as you can.  Pictures, email, planning over the phone... anything to make her feel a part. Or as much a part as she wants to be.  (within reason.)  I like the previous posters idea of filming the thing... and that doesn't have to be a videographer - ask a few friends w/ camcorders if they wouldn't mind filming it and giving you the tape/CD.  Sometimes friends will do that if they understand why, and what it means. (and sometimes, they consider this a gift to you - and that is a wonderful thing!  I know I'd appreciate it!)   Save momentos  all that stuff!  She'll appreciate it - at least the effort!Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards