Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Dance Order

I believe the dance order should be first dance goes before the father daughter dance... Correct?

If so I have an issue... My FH and I are rehearsing our first dance now and there are a bunch of turns and dips and what not... things that I can't not do in a mermaid style wedding dress with a big, huge, bustle in the back... I was wondering if it would be just toooo wierd and out of order to have the father/daughter dance first (because I want pictures of me in my wedding dress dancing with him) the son/mother dance and then have our first dance...? That way while the son/mother dance is taking place I can change into another dress...

How does that sound? 

I was thinking about cutting the cake, changing while everyone ate cake and coming back to do the dance... have the mother/son dance changing to do the father/daughter dance... and then i thought... That is just tooo much!

Re: Dance Order

• From my reply on reception board:  (ps  It's best to use XP if you're posting the same question on duplicate boards)
    I thnk that it would be very disrespectful to your FMIL to walk out of the room while she's dancing with your new DH.

Honestly, unless you and your FI are terrific, experienced ballroom dances, the "choreographed" first dances are often terribly uncomfortable to watch~regardless of the bride's dress.  I'd worry less about fancy moves, and more about having a lovely, personal, romantic dance with your new DH.

It's probably my prejudice against 2 dress brides coming through, but I just don't get the need to change into a second dress for a 2 minute dance.  Seems like overkill or trying way too hard for my taste.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I agree with Trix. Dance a dance with your hubby that you can do in your gown.  If you want to add a dip for flair at the end, fine.  But changing into another dress just so you can perform one dance is a little ridiculous. If this is something that you are working with someone on (i.e. a dance teacher/choreographer), ask him/her to revamp your first dance with moves you are able perform in your wedding gown.  Trix is right about worrying more about having a romantic, intimate dance with your new husband than anything else.
    Crosswalk
  • I understand... what you ladies are saying... thanks!

trix what do you mean use XP for posting on duplicate boards...? I'm not sure what XP stands for or if you are talking about the Windows XP and/or how to use it for posting on duplicate boards... if i'm even supposed to do that at all... which i'm probably not, but i wasn't sure if i posted the first one in the correct spot...
  • XP - cross posting. Which means you've posted it on more than one board.
  • ditto skippy.  If you're going to post the same thing on multiple boards, put at XP (cross post) before the title.  That way people will know that they may have answered in another location.

It's fine to ask your questions on different boards, and this and receptions were the logical places to post your question. 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • ohhh ok... THANKS!!! I talked to the choreographers and they told me I was turning too fast anyways... and that I should slow it down... to show off my dress! OOPs! lol... I don't think it will be too boring, they are making sure that we continue to do different things so that it is more entertaining, which is why I picked to do something choreographed in the beginning... I didn't want to do the middle school back and forth slow dance thing... saving that for my dad! lol

But thanks ladies I really appreciate all your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards