Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Fresh First Dance Ideas!

I am looking for some fresh first dance ideas...I want to make it fun and unique.  A breakout dance is out of the question but I also don't want to slow dance for 4 minutes in front of 200 people either!!! HA What is everyone else doing? 

I was thinking about having our parents or the bridal party coming in to also slow dance about half way through the song..

Thoughts?

Re: Fresh First Dance Ideas!

• What type of music do you enjoy?

We both like Dave Matthews a lot, so we used Steady As We Go.

We also had the dj open the dance floor to everyone about halfway through the song.
    imageimageimage
  • For what it's worth, people won't be watching for you 4 minutes. maybe the first 30 to 60 seconds, but after that they start talking amongst themselves. at least, that's what I've seen at every wedding I've been to.

But yeah, I choose a shorter song for that exact same reason.
  • I don't think there's really any way to make your first dance unique.  Everything's been done.  Just choose a song that's meaningful to the two of you and if you don't want to be up there for as long, have your DJ open up the dance floor halfway through. 
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • If a stranger comes up with the idea, it's not really personal to you, is it?  If you're worried about guests getting bored, then just choose a shorter song, or have your DJ edit it down.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • We're dancing to "Better Together" by Jack Johnson.  It's a pretty short song and we're getting dance lessons to make it as interesting (and pain free for my FH) as possible.
  • For a lot of people, the first dance becomes less about the people watching you than having a few minutes to just be with your new spouse. I'm always most moved when you can see the couple whispering to each other as they sway to the music, having a private moment. So I say pick your favorite song and enjoy your 4 minutes of alone time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You might want to find a non-popular song. I like this list (though I think some are becoming popular since I've seen girls around here who are using some):

http://offbeatbride.com/2010/03/unique-first-dance-songs

Have you thought about dance lessons? You can easily have someone partially choreograph a dance for you so it looks interesting.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I'm always sruprised that on all the lists I look at for ideas on First dance music no one ever thinks to include "Side By Side" by Kay Starr. I think it's cute, not a slow dance, and I guess not done by many people since it's never on a list. That's was FI and I have talked about doing; but we're both lovers of that Patsy Cline/Johnny Cash style...
  • Ditto to this song! No dance lessons though....just winging it! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • oops. Messed up the reply (I guess replying is harder than I thought!). We are using Better Together by Jack Johnson...same as drileybubeck  above. Its pretty short and not a "typical" song that I have heard a ga-gillion times.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • can you take lessons?

we're swing dancing.
  • A lot of people don't do the whole song alone.  My friend did, but she used a Gavin DeGraw song that was only about 2 minutes long.  My brother and SIL had the wedding party come in halfway because my SIL was not comfortable being the center of attention for the whole song (Little Trip to Heaven); so did another friend.  D is also not comfortable dancing just us for the whole song, so we'll open it up to the wedding party after about 90 seconds or two minutes, depending on the song we choose.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • we are both Shakira fans so we are dancing to Hips don't Lie!  We are only doing the first verse and chorus though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards