Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Lent

I am Lutheran and my fiance is Catholic. We are getting married 3/31/2012 which is during Lent, but we are having the ceremony at my church. Is it ok for us to get married during Lent since it is not a Catholic wedding?

Re: Lent

• If your Church has put the wedding on its calendar, then you're good to go!
  • We're looking at 3/31/12 as well!  Either that or the weekend after. 

As long as your church is comfortable wtih you getting married during Lent, then there's no problem.  
    DSC_9275
  • As long as your church will do it, it's fine. There's no Lutheran prohibition against weddings during Lent; it's up to individual congregations.
  • I am not really familiar with the Lutheran church, but you should check with your pastor. This might also be something that is decided on an individual pastor/church basis.

I know the Catholic church does not typically permit weddings during Lent.
  • If your church booked it, they obviously allow it.  You may find yourself limited with what you can do though.  They might require a more subdued wedding and the readings may have to be for the mass set that day and not necessarily the readings you would like to have.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Definitely talk to your church more about it and if their are any limitations... (like GLBear said with the readings)

Is it a Saturday? I hope it's a Saturday...  if it's a Friday, Catholics cannot eat meat and you'd probably end up having to throw a lot out... or have a PASTA WEDDING YIPEE (no meaty sauce though..)
  • Ditto the others; if you, your fi and your church are okay with it, it seems like it's fine. Assuming the wedding is on a Saturday, make sure there are adequate non-meat (but fish is ok) options at the Rehearsal Dinner for your fi's family. 

It is likely that your fi's family might have some concerns -- about your fi getting married during Lent, and not getting married in the Catholic Church. If your fi really is ok with getting married at your church, and not having his wedding recognized by the Catholic church, this is the time to stand up to his parents. If your fi values having your marriage recognized by the Catholic Church, I would recommend talking to his priest about your plans/options.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You need to ask a priest, if you're concerned about if the Catholic church will accept it.  If you're asking about the Lutheran Church, I'm also assuming that since they've allowed you to book it, then you're ok.
  • snwilson0416snwilson0416 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_lent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:ebe88293-89b8-4588-b3cf-0d8dbf3eec7aPost:685c615a-9b09-40ee-9711-67e70bf1814f">Re: Lent</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto the others; if you, your fi and your church are okay with it, it seems like it's fine. Assuming the wedding is on a Saturday, make sure there are adequate non-meat (but fish is ok) options at the Rehearsal Dinner for your fi's family. 
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]<div>Why would she need non-meat options for his family if the wedding is on a Saturday?

</div>
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_lent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:ebe88293-89b8-4588-b3cf-0d8dbf3eec7aPost:6a0a7f9a-4951-4571-871c-8b5be5831784">Re: Lent</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lent : Why would she need non-meat options for his family if the wedding is on a Saturday?
    Posted by snwilson0416[/QUOTE]

<div>She was talking about for the rehearsal dinner, which would be the day before, Friday.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_lent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:ebe88293-89b8-4588-b3cf-0d8dbf3eec7aPost:1cdd4eb8-e2ce-4cc5-a938-603f5d3074c2">Re: Lent</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lent : She was talking about for the rehearsal dinner, which would be the day before, Friday.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]
    Ah, crap, I'm an idiot. Sorry.
  • I got married during Lent last year and there were no issues with the Catholic Church allowing it .. one thing, as you get closer you need to check to see if they will allow you to have flowers on the altar (if you figuring that into your budget) because ours wouldn't allow it.  And yes don't forget a non-meat option if you are having the rehearsal on a Friday night or if that is the actual wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards