Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Who should marry us? Muslim/Christian wedding

I have grown up in a Christian background while my fiance has grown up in the Muslim faith. We most likely will have two weddings. One in a mosque and one held outdoors. Because he is of a different faith, a minister won't want to marry us. I do not want to have the ceremony held in a courthouse. Any ideas as how I can go about finding someone who will be willing to marry us even though we have two different faiths?

Re: Who should marry us? Muslim/Christian wedding

• How many ministers have told you and your FI that they will not perform the wedding ceremony?  What about a Unitarian Universalist celebrant?  Have you tried google for options in St. Louis?  What about your minister?  What has she/he said to you about this??
  • redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_who-should-marry-us-muslimchristian-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:fb47f08c-02de-4f60-985c-a66988f5c938Post:d7d8eb1c-90ef-4665-881c-092a0f37f08c">Who should marry us? Muslim/Christian wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have grown up in a Christian background while my fiance has grown up in the Muslim faith. We most likely will have two weddings. One in a mosque and one held outdoors. Because he is of a different faith, <strong>a minister won't want to marry us</strong>. I do not want to have the ceremony held in a courthouse. Any ideas as how I can go about finding someone who will be willing to marry us even though we have two different faiths?
    Posted by nmsmith500[/QUOTE]

Are you assuming this or have several turned you down already? Sounds like you are assuming, which you know what that does?

But if several have turned you down already, as your local board for recommendations for local ministers that would be more open. I'm sure you can find someone. Might be a little extra work, but is doable.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Well one thing I found cause me and my FI are of different faiths we found a celebrate which is a minster with no faith bases. The one i am working with is willing to work with us and design it to our likes. Even including incorapting ideas of both faiths into it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance and I are both Catholic, but even Catholic priests will marry people of different faiths as long as the couple is committed to raising their children in the Catholic faith. I don't know if that topic has come up between you two yet, but it may be a question you're asked by ministers of various faiths. 
  • I've been to a few inter-faith weddings in the past, so I know there are ministers out there who will do it!  Usually it seems like the couple picks one of their places of worship for the ceremony and then the other's faith is represented as well.  Most of my personal experience is between Catholic and Protestant, or Christian and Jewish...but I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do the same thing with a Christian/Muslim wedding.  Talk to your priest or minister together and talk to his and see what they require and then decide on the where's and the details! Hope you have an amazing ceremony! 
  • We're having an interfait ceremony and are using a celebrant.  I'd look into that if you are having issues finding officants.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• <div>Are you looking for someone to marry you for the Christian wedding? Otherwise, most Imam's (Muslim minister) will marry a Muslim man to a Christian woman, seeing that is completely okay in Islam.  </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_who-should-marry-us-muslimchristian-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:fb47f08c-02de-4f60-985c-a66988f5c938Post:d7d8eb1c-90ef-4665-881c-092a0f37f08c">Who should marry us? Muslim/Christian wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have grown up in a Christian background while my fiance has grown up in the Muslim faith. We most likely will have two weddings. One in a mosque and one held outdoors. Because he is of a different faith, a minister won't want to marry us. I do not want to have the ceremony held in a courthouse. Any ideas as how I can go about finding someone who will be willing to marry us even though we have two different faiths?
    Posted by nmsmith500[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards