Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Service Animals in the Wedding

I use a service dog due to a disability.  He is a part of my life just like my mom.  I've decided my mom and my godfather are going to give me away, but I really want Justice (my standard poodle service dog) involved in my traditional Catholic ceremony.  I was thinking about having 2 flower girls and having them hold on to either side of his vest (or maybe altering a doggie tux to have handles on either side).  Does anyone else use a service dog?  Also one of my bridesmaids uses a service dog.  How would I make sure he is available to her without copromising the integrity of the ceremony?  I'm trying to be as disability friendly to me and my girls as I can be...it would be REALLY bad if I or one of my bridesmaids ended up in the hospital due to the lack of their service dog!

Re: Service Animals in the Wedding

• Definitely include your dogs! Your pup could even be the ring bearer! A little pillow attached to his collar or service vest. Service dogs are so well trained, I can't imagine them ever compromising the integrity of your ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think my parish has had more "ring barkers" than flower girls. That is, dogs with the rings attached to their collars.

Your bridesmaid can just walk, etc., with her dog and have it with her throughout the ceremony, just like in normal life. Or it can be positioned right near the front right before the ceremony.
  • thanks, guys.  her husband is coming to the wedding so i was thinking of maybe sitting him with my family (you know up right front and center) so he can hold her dog can be close enough to watch her (both of our service animals --standard poodles-- can tell by watching us when things are going to go bad).

i think at our reception i'm going to bring my dog's pop up kennel so he can have a quiet hide out and put it under our table...that way he's close but out of the way if need be.  i know i'll have my bridesmaid's service dog and another friend's service dog there too, and justice...he likes to play with his friends, so hopefully this will keep him focused on work too. lol
  • Justice like the service dog in Arrested Development? Was that name a coincidence?

I agree with PP's there's is totally a place for your dog in the ceremony. 
  • I've never seen Arrested Develpment.  I'm a political science major and named him Justice because I had been studying the Supreme Court.  I'm going to have to see that now!  Is it an HUGE apricot standard poodle too?!
  • Your church will allow the dogs in right? 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_service-animals-in-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:fe1a10fc-b463-4058-9ee0-994326ab0969Post:888e74e6-ce26-45ce-919c-5e29a12353b1">Re: Service Animals in the Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never seen Arrested Develpment.  I'm a political science major and named him Justice because I had been studying the Supreme Court.  I'm going to have to see that now!  Is it an HUGE apricot standard poodle too?!
    Posted by craftyalix[/QUOTE]

I think it's a golden retriever.  There is a lawer in the show with a seeing eye dog named Justice.  I won't go into more detail in case anyone hasn't seen it, but it is totally beyond hilarious. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_service-animals-in-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:fe1a10fc-b463-4058-9ee0-994326ab0969Post:cf1571c8-176c-4716-b703-4c9c167d6594">Re: Service Animals in the Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your church will allow the dogs in right? 
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

They can't not let them in. They're service animals, it's illegal to ban them from anywhere.

One of my friends has a seeing eye dog that she'll be bringing, though she's not in the wedding.  What about having the dogs walk up with the bridesmaids? I think it'd be kinda cute to have a couple dogs up front.  But what you're thinking is a good plan too :)
  • I think either just keeping the dogs with you, having them come down the aisle with flower girls, or letting them sit/lay down in front of the first row of seats is fine.  I think having your BM's husband up front and center with her dog sounds like a good plan if you don't want him at her feet for the ceremony.

I'm sure they're well behaved and lovely dogs, and you should let them stay near you where you will feel comfortable.
  • In the Catholic Church, a doctrine has been brought down to allow all service animals in the Church, but because ALL churches are private, service animals are NOT protected by the federal law in churches. (But my thinking is why would a church NOT allow a service animal?)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards