Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Changing daughter's last name after wedding???

Does anyone know if you can change your child's name for free when you marry? 

I am marrying my daughters father, if we decide to all go with a combo/hyphenated last name, can we change hers along with ours at the same time or do we have to pay for it...???  If so, how much does changing a child's name cost??

Re: Changing daughter's last name after wedding???

• SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010

Edit: Nevermind. I missed the part about her already being his child.

You might want to ask this of the SS administration or a family attorney in your state.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • For free?  No, I don't think you'll get it for free.  Depending on your state and what you need to change it isn't necessarily free to change your own name when you marry.

I know it isn't the same as your situation but I dropped my hypen last name when I was 18 and it was a total PITA.  I don't really see how the parents getting married would make this any easier to do for a child.  Changing a name without a marriage certificate can be very difficult.  The process for me, as an adult, took almost 3 months, countless forms, and lots of energy.  It included a petition and multiple trips to court.

Check with the SS adminstration, DMV, and your state/local government.  They'll probably have a better idea of what you need to do.

• redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    Marriage/ Divorce is the easiest way to change a woman's name, but a man & the kid may have to petition the court to change their name by filing a petition. You must talk to a local attorney in your state. Every state is different.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • yeah, it might be a bit of a process, but still easier than having to change your name on EVERYTHING like drivers license, credit cards, social security, etc etc etc.  how old is your daughter?
    married :: april 22, 2010 :: sodo park, seattle Photobucket http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyclementines
  • Our daughter is 23 months- so about 2.5 when we'll be married. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards