Texas-San Antonio
Options

major wedding dress fiasco....long post

I went to my 2nd dress fitting this past weekend and my dress did not look right on.....The dress was HUGE on me originally, so at my first fitting she pinned it up all over the place and took about 4 inches from both sides of the dress.  The lady said they ordered a larger dress size to accomodate my bust -- but the dress was huge even on the bust area.  Since the dress was wayyy too big it changed the proportion of the dress and now the waistline is really far down around my hips instead of being a couple of inches from the bust line.  It highlights the wrong part of me and makes me look suuuper short.  I didn't realize all of this at the fitting...I just knew something was really wrong.  When I looked at the pics of when I bought the dress vs. my 2nd fitting pics I could tell exactly what the problem is.  I just called the tailor (who works in the bridal store I bought the dress from) and they said they could not move the waistline up since it is covering the stitching of the skirt.  It really just changes the shape of the whole dress though -- before it was a soft A-line....now the skirt is much fuller.I don't know what to do now....it looks really bad on (so much so that I'm hesitant to even post pics...it's embarassing.  But if you have a sec look at the pics in the post vs. the pics in my bio.  I have not lost or gained a pound since the pics in my bio were taken.I signed a trillion papers when I bought the dress so I'm sure they won't reorder me one in the right size, although I haven't asked yet.  What would you do?  Force yourself to wear a dress that you don't feel looks good on, buy another dress and waste a TON of money?  Sigh.TIA for your opinions!![IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/8wgvx0.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/2qnnk2d.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/295yaft.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/2mobdlk.jpg[/IMG]

Re: major wedding dress fiasco....long post

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definately tell wherever you bought it from that you are unhappy and what are your other options... I know what you mean with sizing on dresses and having them hitting you at the wrong spot. You should NOT wear that dress if you are unhappy with it... you will regret it. See what that store tells you and let us know what they say.
  • Options
    jgilbergjgilberg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Urgh. That sucks.I would definitely tell the dress store that you are not satisfied. You may be surprised, they might be able to get you something that might work better, if they call the factory. They might be even able to locate something closer to the sample size, which looked like it fit you okay and let that out on top. You might also see if you can take it to another tailor and see if they have any other ideas of how to fix the issue. I can see why shifting up the sash would be difficult, since it has that overlay of beading. For some reason, bridal shops always target your largest measurement rather than thinking about the cut of the dress. I had a bridesmaid dress that I ordered "in my size" fall off of me, due to this and had to spend a fortune to get it cut to the right size.I know that when I wanted to purchase my dress, the store insisted on a larger size, because I am really bottom heavy. I had to point out that I fit in the sample (in the skirt), so a smaller size should not be an issue and that they should aim for my bust rather than my hips as the size measurement. I wish you much luck!~Julie
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry you're having this experience!  I know how hard it is when you are top-heavy (I used to be VERY top heavy)....people who aren't don't truly understand.  I would definitely have a long conversation with the dress shop.  If they did not ever mention that it would change the placement of the waistline I think that is their mistake.  They work with these dresses on a regular basis and should be able to at least give an idea of what might happen once alterations are made.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh man, what a bunch of jerks. Take your dress to another seamstress for a second opinion. My aunt told me about Sew Chic and she said they do good jobs. Why in the hell would they tell you that they could alter a dress like that? I guess to make a sale. People seriously blow my mind. They should have known better than to sell you a dress that required major alterations. If push comes to shove...I'd get another dress or where some really high heels.
  • Options
    MBLoveMBLove member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I echo everyone's sentiments that this situation really sucks!!! I would combine everyone's advice--first tell the store you are not happy and see what solution they offer you. If they do not help, take it to a seamstress for a second opinion. If it's any consolation I think you look absolutely beautiful in both pictures and people are not going to notice your waist, their eyes are going to be drawn upward if you know i'm saying:) We are are own worst critics sometimes, but you deserve to have the dress of your dreams. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Photobucket image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1, I would try talking to the store. 2, I would try taking it to a different seamstress. I'm sure a really good one would be able to help. You are right, it does change the way the dress falls on your wasitline. But it really does not look bad on you. If people were not looking at the dress side by side, they probably would not notice anything. HOWEVER, if you are unhappy with the way it falls, is not the dress that you fell in love with and that is the most important thing. You need to be comfortable. Definitely take it to someone else! I hope it all works out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else. The reputation of the store is on the line here and if they aren't willing to help well it's going to be a loss for them. The dress is very pretty and I can see what you're talking about but at the same time I think we're are more conscious of our bodies more than others are. What matters though is what makes you happy. I'd do what the others have suggested and see if the store will help you out. If not try another seamstress. I don't see why it would be so difficult. If they are good they can make it right for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow! That is an awful situation! To me, it really seems like the store is 100% at fault and I'd argue with them until they relent! Clearly, they ordered the wrong size AND the seamstress should have told you how the dress would change. It is their responsibility to make sure you are happy and that what your paid for is what you got and that is not what happened here. I would simply argue that fact with the before and after pictures! IF you decide to keep that dress, try calling Diana Ackerman of The Threadbender. She is making SERIOUS changes to my dress (taking it from a straight across neckline to sweetheart, changing from a-line to mermaid etc). And there is tons of beading, lace, crystals etc. She'll really have to almost take the dress apart and put it back together. I think she'd be able to fix your dress.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh geez. I'm so so sorry you're going through this! You haven't had the best of luck with some of your vendors, but hopefully this one will turn out well like your whole DJ fiasco did.I agree that I can definitely see the difference between the first pictures and now, but like marisa said, it really doesn't look bad now. It just looks like a different style dress. Like others have said though, this is your day and you should feel as comfortable, beautiful, and sure of yourself as possible. I know you remarked feeling like a princess when you first found the dress. If you don't feel that way still, then I definitely think it's worth getting some major changes on this dress with an awesome seamstress, or re-ordering it (hopefully at the store's expense). I think the dress is a big enough issue that you don't want to look back at all of your pictures and think "I really don't like the way that dress fit me." (Especially since I remember you said you splurged a bit on the photography)  Do what you know will make you happy. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    From the pictures, it looks like to me that the entire dress needs to be pulled up from the top. A strapless dress should sit only about .5-1" below your armpit. It looks like yours is much lower than that and is coming even lower in the middle, which is causing 2 not so flattering things to happen. First, the waist is obviously lower which is making you look shorter. But then, it is also creating a boob shelf effect (I sincerely hope that is not offensive, I just can't think of a better way to describe it). Next time you try it on, loosen the corset as much as possible and then fix the dress so it is coming up over your chest instead of stopping halfway. Then have them tie up the corset keeping the dress in that position. That will also help move the waist up several inches. I would also ask them about adding additional boning in front to help with support to keep the dress up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of your responses.  I made an appointment to go back to the store this Saturday.  I'm going to talk to the seamstress and then the manager of the store if they think they can't do anything for me in terms of alterations.  I'll let you guys know what happens!!
  • Options
    marissa54marissa54 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I think all the posts said it all, but I just wanted to say I really hope everything gets fixed and worked out. Either way, you will look beautiful no matter what! : )
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hope you are able to get the store to fix your issue for you. If not, I think Leigh is right about how the dress fits. I think it is sitting a little low on you and that's what is helping to drop the waist. I think adding in boning is a great idea!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If the bridal store will not fix it (or can't) call Pilar Duffner. She lives in San Antonio and she is absolutely the best-she will do wonders for that dress. It will cost a little extra but she is very reasonable-If you end up taking the dress to someone else, to fix what the store did, have them give you a full or partial refund. DON'T SIGN OFF ON THE DRESS until they have made everything right for you. Here's Pilar's info:Alterations By Pilar Duffner (210) 521-7077 9643 Timber Path (her address)I hope everything works out for you! Don't stress out, the dress is gorgeous, it just needs a touch up!Allison
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    On ya, and I 100% recommend using a different seamstress. You are in Houston, right? Arlene a Beautiful U is awesome. She completely redid my dress when another seamstress butchered it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh no! That really sucks!I ordered my dress from the same store as you so I re-read my order form - it looks like there's no way to get out of the purchase or get a refund.  Maybe you could try talking to A.J. at the store, I think she's the owner's daughter.  I agree with leighzlou's comments - it looks like the dress is sitting too low on you, but from the pictures it looks like the right seamstress could salvage it and make it look beautiful on you.  Best of luck Saturday!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hkh - yeah....they pretty much make you sign your life away on the receipt....AJ was actually the one who sold me the dress so I have an appointment to meet with her and the alterations lady, Lupe....if that doesn't work out I'm going to take the dress to the alterations place Leigh recommended (thanks Leigh!!) and see what they can do.  If it's a lost cause I guess I'm going to suck it up and buy a new dress -- this time one that is 2 piece so I can get the right size.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hope it goes well for you. I'd be heartbroken if that happened to me but at the same time I'd be panicking since it would mean needing to buy another dress in the worst case scenario. I hope that doesn't happen to you. I think the dress should be fixable. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards