Texas-San Antonio

Silly question

Well I was wondering on your cakes for the wedding how were you having them decorated? I'm honestly considering going with something like buttercream flowers vs real flowers. Sure it's dated but at the same time I can't seem to bring myself to put real flowers on a cake that are just going to be trashed like everything else. Is anyone else having an issue with their cake design?

Re: Silly question

• edited December 2011
    I'm not planning on putting any flowers on my cake (mine will have snowflakes instead, probably made out of that hard icing stuff, might be called royal icing?), but I don't see anything wrong with doing buttercream flowers instead of real ones. I would think they could still look really pretty and not dated if done right. If you're concerned on how it will look but don't want to pay for real flowers, you could always consider using silk ones. Michael's has 50% off sales pretty frequently, so you might be able to find some really good deals on silk flowers. Good luck!
  • jgilbergjgilberg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of places will make gumpaste flowers that are really beautiful. Royal icing also can work.I am actually doing marzipan fruit for my cake, I think.~Julie
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not using actual flowers. I have a pic in my bio under 'yummy stuff' that shows a pic of a cake I found online that has a fondant flower....my baker said she could recreate it!
  • marissa54marissa54 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using real flowers but that's mainly because my baker provides them free. I think whatever you decide will look good. I would just do what you prefer and I wouldn't worry about it looking dated.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. I originally did want to put flowers on it and the place I've been considering getting my cake from didn't even offer gumpaste flowers or making them out of buttercream. She told me I'd have to make arrangements through my florist and that they'd decorate the cake with the flowers which I thought was odd considering she's making the cake.I think I'll need to do some more searching for a cake place too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards