Wedding Party

Ever heard of this?

I was googling ideas for BM dresses and stumbled across a blog late last night about about a bride that chose her BMs and their dresses based on the idea that they had to look uglier than her. Has anyone heard of real life brides thinking this way? I've seen some pretty hideous BM dresses chosen for weddings, but never was under the impression that it was to make the bride look better than them! I also found it kind of funny because just the week before, I had an acquaintance tell me that said she would only choose good looking girls to be in her WP because she "wasn't having THAT". Different strokes, I guess?! Call my crazy, but I guess I just didn't put that much thought into picking those closest to me to be my BMs. :P

Re: Ever heard of this?

• Wow... I mean I guess I sort of understand wanting the focus to be on you as the bride. I wonder if it's just some kind of insecurity they have about themselves...
  • no.but you gave me a good laugh that I needed!
  • ha, that could very well be too, Stagemanager.
  • Good lord! Doesn't the white dress trump all, anyway? Personally I want my girls to look *good*, and am working really hard to find dresses that will suit their different bodies. (I think brides look better when they, and their whole BP look *happy*) But would I have said "no" to my MOH because she's round? Hell no! I think the girls who make decisions like super unattractive or only statuesque BMs reap the rewards of their decision. Girls like the one you're talking about Alko give me seriously big laughs! *m*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    DW Siggy: Current Books
    White Knot
    image 149 Received the invite of the century. image 90 are coming to party with the unicorns! image 37 will miss out on the good food and eat hot pockets instead. image 22 think I'm psychic.

My Bio, updated 4/24/11
  • I've not only heard of it, but I can only assume that's what my "friend" had in mind when she picked out floor length mac 'n cheese orange gowns. Her sister, the MOH, was put in the same dress in Kool-Aid yellow.How I know my friend picked a bad color on purpose? When we found out her sister was in the yellow (Which was SLIGHTLY less hideous than the orange) and somebody said "Wtf?", my friend replied "Well, nobody looks good in orange and I couldn't have my own sister look like a pumpkin".Needless to say, the friendship started getting very strained after that, lol.I don't understand WHY people do this, because really, when you pick bad BM dresses, while nobody may say it directly to you, people WILL always say "What was she THINKING?" somewhere down the line. I would rather people say "Wow, she did good" when all's said and done.When it came time for me to pick BM dresses, I actually went and tried on the dresses MYSELF before I picked one for my girls. My thought process behind this was I would have to see myself in the dress and think long and hard: "If somebody made me wear this, how much would I hate them for it?", and if I, personally, would wear it for somebody else. It was actually pretty easy for me to pick a dress after that.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • At my old job, I overheard a girl in the cafeteria saying that she was a BM and the bride wouldn't allow her to cut her hair before the wedding, or wear shoes that made her taller than the bride.
  • Yeah, I could never do that to my BMs.  I want them to look as nice as possible, and you'd think the bride would too- you're going to have these pictures for years to come and I'd hate to look back and think I made my friends wear fugly dresses or I didn't pick my best friends because they were prettier than me or too big.  That's a horrible thing to do to your friends.    Unfortunately, I've heard of a lot of people doing this or trying to just from reading posts on this board and watching too many episodes of Bridezillas.
  • NCV2 I agree.  Bad BM dresses make me think the bride has bad taste.  Not that she's wanting to look better. I also tried on the dresses I was considering for my BM's.  The one I actually loved the best was no longer in stock, but my runner up (which was just as nice, just without lace) looked good on me too and I would totally buy that dress for a formal event in the future.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree that some brides just have bad taste in clothing, and you can maybe tell that based on their taste in everyday clothing. Or...sometimes the colors they choose for the wedding just don't look good on people -- one of the BM dresses I'm wearing in my friend's wedding next year is awful, but I genuinely think it's one that she as the bride would wear herself. Can't really complain there. On the other hand, you hear girls like the ones that wont let you cut your hair (wth?) or wear certain shoes because of the height difference, and you think it can't be anything more than a bride that gets easily jealous or insecure. Megk80z -- Sorry about your mac 'n cheese dress.. :-\ Sounds interesting, and from the way you make it sound, she's knows the dresses are ugly and doesn't seem to mind. Got any pics?
  • Alko726: don't have wedding pics, but I managed to find the dress online (Actually, link below gives you an idea of both colors). It wasn't even the style that had me want to shoot myself over (It probably wouldn't have been SO unflattering in black), but honestly NEITHER shade really works on anybody.http://tinyurl.com/mzh77kP.S. I'm hoping that I didn't offend anybody that might pick this dress but really, it looked bad on everybody.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • megk8oz -- Looks like you're an apple shy of a fruit basket! :) lol, sorry, I feel for ya. Those are pretty bad, although I think the orange *may* look better than the yellow actually. I'm not a fan of that style because I've seen friends try on that style dress, and it always looks as though they're pregos. That could just be me. Perhaps it went well with the color scheme?! :-\ I clicked to see if I could view other colors in the dress, and I laughed when it said, "Orange -- final sale, no return". I just thought of someone trying desperately to get rid of it. :P
  • Bummer, the link won't work for me. :(
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Wow! I followed the link and that dress is straight out of synthetic fiber h*ll.  Some people do look good in orange but honestly those look more like stripper dresses than bridesmaid dresses.I had a friend who was a BM and the bride had really bad taste in dresses.  I think the bride was trying to pick something elegant but ended up choosing strapless black polyester sacks with no waist.  Instead of using sashes, she gave everybody ribbon from the craft store to tie at their waists.  She cut them all too short so everybody had to tie teeny tiny knots to keep them around their waists.
  • ROFL Gabbi!!!re: shoes: Where the h*ll did brides get the idea that the idea that they needed to be surrounded by munchkins (or shall I say the vertically challenged ;) in order to be the most beautiful???? Who are these people!?re: hair cutting: could that just be that the bride wants all her BMs to have longer hair for the big day? Although I doubt I'll go so far as to mandate things like no haircuts, I can understand it. My MOH has super short hair that I find really unflattering on her. But she loves it. If anyone has a suggestion on how to get her to grow it out just a smidge without being a hosebeast of a bride, I'm open to suggestions ;)*m*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    White Knot
    image 149 Received the invite of the century. image 90 are coming to party with the unicorns! image 37 will miss out on the good food and eat hot pockets instead. image 22 think I'm psychic.

My Bio, updated 4/24/11
  • "My MOH has super short hair that I find really unflattering on her. But she loves it. If anyone has a suggestion on how to get her to grow it out just a smidge without being a hosebeast of a bride, I'm open to suggestions ;)" Leave her alone. Really. Hey, at least she doesn't have a hot pink mohawk.
  • There was an episode of Bridezillas where the (fairly heavy) bride had a minimum weight requirement for her bridesmaids, and made them weigh in before the ceremony.  She wouldn't let her MOH wear Spanx because it made her look too skinny.  It baffled me.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • One of my good guy friends was dating this total nutcase. She was always planning "their wedding" and told me that when she got married she wanted me to be a bridesmaid... BUT i had to lose 50 pounds, go to a gym, have my hair colored... etc, because she didn't want any of her BMs to ruin her photos...They broke up a few months ago. Best decision he ever made.
  • ROFL Larissa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm loving the idea of pink mohawks... I might ask them all to do that xD Did anyone just cringe when they actually launched the bridezilla show? Like, who the f wants to go on national TV to be depicted as a heinous beast?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    White Knot

My Bio, updated 4/24/11
  • Sometimes I wonder the validity of Bridezillas. I loved that show until I saw the bride for Jersey smash her hand into a birthday cake at her rehearsal dinner and throw it at her father. Everyone just sat there and watched, like they were at the theater or something. Surely someone would have said something or walked out or something.Anyway, a few brides on there have made comments about having to look better than their bridal party. Even the brides who require their bridesmaids to be below a certain weight, still want them to look worse than the bride.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards