Wedding Party

Flowergirl:)

My fi and I are planning on asking his niece and nephew to be our flower girl and ring bearer. His newphew will be 4 and is very well behaved. His niece will have just turned two. I'm hoping with the help of her brother they can make it down the aisle but I know that may be wishful thinking. Do you think two is to young? Either way she will still be listed as a flowergirl in our wedding I just wonder if even trying to get her to walk is to much to ask.

Re: Flowergirl:)

• If you want things to be "perfect," then I personally would not ask her. I don't blame you if you don't want to deal with potential temper tantrums or stage fright ... exactly why I'm not having child attendants ;) If you want her in it because she's your niece and you don't care if she doesn't make it down the aisle or if she cries all the way down ... go for it. Not to say that she WILL get upset during the ceremony, but I wouldn't have her as flower girl unless you're O.K. with that possibility. I don't have that kind of patience so I personally would not like that.
  • Up until I chose my attendents, I would have thought that was too young. Then I got engaged and love my nephew to death and can't imagine him not being a part of my day. He'll be turning 2 on Thanksgiving and my wedding is in early December. My sister-in-law is a BM and my brother will be sitting in the front to do a reading. So I'm planning on having my nephew walk with my sis-in-law or my brother, if he's a little hesitant. And if he freaks out last minute and doesn't make it down, I'll still have pictures of him looking adorable in his little tux and I'll still be able to dance and have fun with him at the reception. Plus, if he sees my bro in the front and takes off down the aisle to get to him...everyone will laugh and the stress level will subside a bit.
  • There's an old show business adage: "Never work with children or animals."  This is because they can be quite unpredictable.It depends on the personality of the kid.  2 can be just old enough, 5 can be too young.  My sister's two year old ring bearer seemed like he was going to be fine, then had a meltdown the day of.  He ended up being carried up the aisle by the priest, then started fiddling with the altar decorations and got carried out by grandma.You've still got a lot of time.  I'd wait until much closer, say 2-4 months out, and see what kind of kid she turns out to be.  If you think she's going to be up for it, run it by her parents and see what they think.  Flower girls aren't mandatory, you don't need to have one if it's not going to work.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Great! Thanks for the advice:) I'm just gonna wait it out. Hopefully either way we can get her into a cute little dress and take some photos. You never expect to much from a toddler!
  • I think it's always a crapshoot with kids under 5 and kids under 3 are too young.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • My neices were 23 months and just darling at the wedding. But had either gotten scared or acted bratty they woudl have been taken out. Just let it role the job is to look cute and she can just be taken out if acts up ( same with 4 yr old)  
  • My niece is two, and for your question I'm trying to picture what she would do if she were a FG.  Unfortunately, I really can't say.  She's so unpredictable- one minute she's fine and calmly keeping herself occupied.  The next minute she's throwing a temper tantrum about some mundane thing.  I think she'd go down the aisle- especially if someone walked with her.  I just don't know how long she'd actually stay up front and behaved.  I decided long ago I wasn't fooling with it.
  • I think in part it depends on the child herself like some of the other posters said. FI's niece was a FG in her parents' wedding, and she was just over two, I think. She did fine at the rehearsal, and then the wedding came and she got really nervous. The RB helped her down the aisle -- she didn't cry, but she didn't do much petal tossing either -- none, actually. At the end of the aisle, she ever so slowly tossed all the flowers in one place while smiling at her mom and everyone waited for her to finish before moving on. I guess it wasn't "perfect" to some, but it was very cute, and everyone in the family thought it was perfect and wonderful. If it means a lot to you and she's generally a quiet girl, I think it'll be wonderful for her to try and get her to walk. :)
  • My neice is three and there was never another option of who would be my flower girl. She is not a patient child at all but very adorable and makes everyone laugh. So I figure the worst that could happen is everyone gets a good laugh out of my cute goofy little niece. For the last few months my sister has been talking to her about how she gets to throw flower petals down the isle and how fun it will be and that she has to be a good girl. So now she talks about it all the time. I think the little discussions will help her be ready for the big day. Either way she will sure look cute in pictures! ;)
    Missed Miscarriage 3-11-10; Jaxen Lee 3-31-11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards