Wedding Party

What's the difference?!

This may be a ridiculous question but I've been looking at some personalized gifts for my bridal party and have run into the issue of my MOH. What's the difference between calling her my Maid of Honor or Matron of Honor. I'm kind of assuming it's like the difference between Ms. and Mrs. but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for clarifying!

Re: What's the difference?!

• Maid = an unmarried woman Matron = a married woman.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • That's exactly the difference: Married vs. unmarried. I personally don't like the title "matron" since it makes someone sound like an old prison marm, but that's just me. If you call them "maid" no one will get mad (I hope).
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • That's what I thought! Thank you so much!!
  • You could always avoid the "maid" or "matron" route and go with attendant or honor attendant. :-)
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • All of my girls are married, so they're technically all bridesmatrons.  However, I'm calling them bridesmaids for simplicity's sake (and because only one of the five is over 30, I don't want them to feel old).  I'll probably let my MOH decide whether she wants to go in the program as Maid or Matron of Honor.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • You learn something new every day!  That's why I love these boards!
  • Matron is married, maid is not.
  • It wasn't really a personalized "gift". It was actually wine glasses that had bride, groom, Maid/Matron of Honor, Best Man, etc etched into it. My fiance and I are having a wine themed wedding so I thought they'd be fitting. But it wouldn't really be their "thanks for being in my wedding" gift. Just a little personalized something to add to the theme of the party. And I doubt we'll get them anyway, we have a small budget and have other-more important-things to spend our money on. I just saw them and wasn't sure what the diff. between maid/matron was.
  • Thanks! I didn't know they had those! I will definitely have to look into it!! Thanks for the advice!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards