Wedding Party
Options

MoB/MoG Dresses

I know that I want my bridesmaid's in black tea-length dresses, that I think I am going to let them pick out themselves.  They are not the issue. My question is, what type of dresses do I have the moms wear? My mom is super laid back and will wear whatever I tell her.  However, FMiL is not so laid back, and likes to wear very...off the wall clothes.  The best example I have is that to her other sons wedding, she was asked to wear gray, champagne or silver...and she wore a bright teal floor length dress, covered in sequins...to a daytime wedding.  I'm sure that I can word whatever I decide nicely enough that she doesn't freak out, but I need to know what to tell her to wear! HELP?!?!

Re: MoB/MoG Dresses

• Options
    Well, your worries are for naught: You don't get to tell the moms what to wear!
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    You can't really tell them what to wear.   But you can go shopping with her and stear her in the right direction.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Why are you telling the mothers what they have to wear?
  • Options
    Both of them asked me what they should wear and I wasn't sure what to tell them. And telling them that I don't need to tell them what to wear is what I really needed to know =)
  • Options
    So tell them, "I want you to be happy and comfortable. The bridesmaids are wearing X color and Y style, and here's a photo of my gown, in case you want to use those as some basic guidelines for formality. If you want to coordinate with my color scheme, I'm using A and B colors, so maybe you'd like to play off those or wear a nice neutral color like champagne or silver. I'd be happy to go shopping with you if you would like."If they agree to go shopping with you, watch them try stuff on and be vocal about what looks nice on them. If you go with FMIL and she picks out some wacky stuff and asks your opinion, say something like, "Oh FMIL, you're so pretty but I feel like that minidress isn't showing off your great figure/that ballgown is too formal for our casual wedding/that color isn't playing up your gorgeous skintone enough." And if she says that she loves that dress, smile and nod and keep your mouth shut (unless her boobies are hanging out).
  • Options
    No you don't need to know what you tell her to wear because she is an adult and can dress herself.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    ALucke: the correct answer to your moms asking what they should wear is summed up in this conversation with my darling DIL: Me: What would you like me to wear for the wedding? DIL: Whatever you feel beautiful and comfortable in. I love my DIL.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    she's a grown woman (ok, without good taste) and you really should not be telling her what to wear.  whatever she does is a reflection on her.
  • Options
    Just tell them whatever they'd like to wear is fine - and you're happy to go shopping if they'd like some ideas.
  • Options
    Yea that teal sequined gown that was overplay and a fashion hazzard and I can see how you would be concerned. Seriously you can't tell your parents what to wear. Since they asked you could tell them what your colors are and the look you are going for. They could play off on those colors. Smile and tell your FMIL you will go shopping with her if she is uncertain then you could interject your opinion and not make it look like your telling her what to wear.
  • Options
    Anyone else *dying* for a photo of the teal sequined gown? I know I am!
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    Well you are in luck! You do not have tp worry about te moms attire as you have absolutely no say in what they wear. you do not get to ask them to wear or not wear certain colors or attire and thus their taste or lack thereof is no reflection on you
  • Options
    Their is nothing wrong with asking your parents what they are going to wear or make some suggestions on your preferences and like OP said they asked. Whats wrong is if you are telling them what to wear or not to wear.
  • Options
    Mothers are not part of the bridal party so you can't tell them what to wear.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    If they've asked what they should wear, I agree with pp who suggested showing them your dress and the BM dresses, then offering to go shopping with them.  Just keep in mind that the final decision is theirs.  Whatever they wear will reflect on them, not you.I'd also love to see a pic of the teal sequinned number :o)
  • Options
    If they asked you what to wear I think its fair to say "Well, these are the colors for the wedding and this is the color the bridesmaids are wearing.  And our dresses are fairly simple/have beading/etc."  Maybe show her pictures of your dress and the bridesmaids dresses to give her an idea of the formality of the wedding.  i.e. if you're concerned about her wearing a sequined dress you can mention in passing that the wedding will be a casual daytime wedding.  Other than that, I don't think there is much you can do.  For example, I'm fairly certain that my fMIL will wear light pink (she has for her two other kids weddings).  I don't think this is the most flattering color for her- but I would never tell her that.  She (obviously) likes it and feels good in it- its not my place to tell her otherwise.
    WHO DEY!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards