Wedding Party

Dresses

This is my first post, so hello all! I've lurked here for a little while, especially in the Military Brides section. My husband and I got married four months ago at the courthouse, and we are planning a vow renewal ceremony in March 2013 for our close friends and family who were not able to be there. We are doing a very low key and vintage ceremony, all those who are coming know that we are already married, and no one has expressed any issues with my wearing a wedding dress or having my sister and closest two friends stand up with me as bridesmaids. We are not having a wedding registry, although we may set up a honeymoon registry for anyone who expresses interest in giving a gift. We are being very careful to make sure no one feels decieved into thinking it is a wedding and not a vow renewal.

I'm wondering if anyone can give any advice on good places to possibly find print bridesmaids dresses? We are toying with lavender and gray for our colors, and I would really like to find a floral print of some kind in a short dress. I've looked on David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo and not found very much.

Re: Dresses

• TiffannieFTiffannieF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dresses-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:34547d14-c059-450e-b6fb-c34e4bca0f9ePost:f8055f5b-6c78-4832-81ac-483312caa6e3">Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is my first post, so hello all! I've lurked here for a little while, especially in the Military Brides section. My husband and I got married four months ago at the courthouse, and we are planning a vow renewal ceremony in March 2013 for our close friends and family who were not able to be there. We are doing a very low key and vintage ceremony, all those who are coming know that we are already married, and no one has expressed any issues with my wearing a wedding dress or having my sister and closest two friends stand up with me as bridesmaids.<strong> We are not having a wedding registry, although we may set up a honeymoon registry for anyone who expresses interest in giving a gif</strong>t. We are being very careful to make sure no one feels decieved into thinking it is a wedding and not a vow renewal. I'm wondering if anyone can give any advice on good places to possibly find print bridesmaids dresses? We are toying with lavender and gray for our colors, and I would really like to find a floral print of some kind in a short dress. I've looked on David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo and not found very much.
    Posted by hadassahjones1[/QUOTE]

So you want your close family and friends to pay for your vacation?  O_o   I highly advise against this!
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • And for the dresses....maybe try Macy's.  I'm assuming they will be getting their prom and spring dresses in soon.
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • I'm going to warn you right now.  People on these boards will not look kindly on a honeymoon registry or a 'second' wedding, even if your friends and family say they're ok with it.  Just to warn you.

To answer your question, my friend found print bridesmaids dresses at Ann Taylor Loft, of all places.  She basically found a dress in a print that went with her colors, and gave us all the order info (she also bought a bunch for the bridesmaids who were close to her geographically).  You'll find luck in 'off the rack' type national stores.
    Photobucket
  • Neither one of us is particularly keen on anyone paying for anything for us, in fact, even if we had chosen to not go to the courthouse and have a traditional wedding ceremony, we were not really interested in setting up a wedding registry. But I know my family, especially, will ask what we want for gifts, regardless of it being a vow renewal rather than an actual wedding. So we thought a honeymoon registry would probably be appropriate. We aren't going to broadcast it, and if no one does anything, that's fine with us. But that way, if anyone asks (and as I said, I know my family will, that's just how they all are) we can let them know, or my mom or sister or whoever they ask can. And of course, if they choose to do something else, we will be grateful for that, or if they choose to do nothing, we will just be happy to have them there to celebrate with us.

And Macy's is a good idea. I think there is one in Tallahassee, which is close to where I am.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dresses-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:34547d14-c059-450e-b6fb-c34e4bca0f9ePost:fb09ca06-b218-4abc-9100-3f2f7d0f43e0">Re: Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Neither one of us is particularly keen on anyone paying for anything for us, in fact, even if we had chosen to not go to the courthouse and have a traditional wedding ceremony, we were not really interested in setting up a wedding registry. But I know my family, especially, will ask what we want for gifts, regardless of it being a vow renewal rather than an actual wedding. So we thought a honeymoon registry would probably be appropriate. We aren't going to broadcast it, and if no one does anything, that's fine with us. But that way, if anyone asks (and as I said, I know my family will, that's just how they all are) we can let them know, or my mom or sister or whoever they ask can. And of course, if they choose to do something else, we will be grateful for that, or if they choose to do nothing, we will just be happy to have them there to celebrate with us. And Macy's is a good idea. I think there is one in Tallahassee, which is close to where I am.
    Posted by hadassahjones1[/QUOTE]

Just don't have any registry and use word of mouth for cash.  Wedding registries typically charge your guests a good % to use it (check out the "registering and gifts" board, there is a sticky about HM registries).

And I hope Macy's has some good options for you!
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • I know you're trying to be accommodating to guests who want to bring a gift, but most HM registries have hidden fees - people think they're paying for a $100 couples massage, the company takes a cut and you and your FI get a check for $92.50 (and your guest doesn't know you didn't get the full value of their purchase.)

Plus, if people want to give you physical gifts they will not go onto a HM registry, they will buy you a ceramic rooster or something else tangible.  If you want to avoid the roosters, I'd suggest telling your guests you aren't registering, but you're saving for a house/addition/new car.  They'll figure it out.
    Photobucket
  • Ah, I was unaware of that. I had checked out the pages for Carnival and Sandals registries (we haven't settled on a honeymoon spot yet but those are ideas!), and didn't see any fees, but if that's the case I definitely don't want them having to pay a fee to use it. Thanks for the heads up!
  • I thought Alfred Angelo had some cute print dresses and I second white house black market (pricey but so cute they will definitely wear again)
    Anniversary
  • For print dresses in spring colors, I would just head to the mall!  JC Penny usually has a decent dress section in the early spring.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards